Script Runner Enhanced search not working properly for next-gen projects: how to get IssuesInEpics?

AVB May 23, 2023

Hi,

Our hierarchy of project is the following: Initiatives are parent of Epics which are parent of Stories.

My intent is to get all the Stories depending from Epics linked to a specific set of Initiatives.

1) Using advanced filters, I saved a query that allow me to identify the Initiatives I want. I save this filter under "filter initiative".

2) Under Script Runner Enhanced Search, I did the following "issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("filter = 12852"), 12852 being the ID of "filter initiative". Up to that point, it's working fine.

3) I want to get the Stories now but whatever I tried, it did not work. It seems issuesInEpics and EpicsOf are not working for next-gen projects.

Would you have a clue on how to proceed?

Any idea on how those features will be developed?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hello @AVB 

Can you confirm that #2 is returning to you a list of Epics?

And what exactly have you tried for #3? And what results do you get for each filter that you try?

Working with issues in a Team Managed (a.k.a next-gen) project I was able to use this simple Scriptrunner Enhanced search to get child issues of an Epic.

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("issue-TS-7")
AVB May 26, 2023

Hello Trudy,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, "issueFunction in issuesInEpics" is not supported for Team Managed projects (nor EpicsOf).

I also got answer from Adaptavist support explaining why it's not working with such projects:

"This is because these projects are new, and Atlassian has changed the way that Epics are linked to issues and have not provided any API's to search for Epics in these projects currently."

So, til Atlassian provides that API, it's gonna be difficult..

I tried to think of other ways to get the data I'm expecting and could only use the ID keys in Advanced filter with expression of type:   "issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("issue key") OR issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("issue key") OR issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("issue key")....."

I used excel to fetch the column with all ID keys and exported them to fit the "issue key" of the query. Not ideal cause not automatic but it does the job for that specific need.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

It doesn't work for me today, but I swear when I wrote that answer it did work. 

I wonder if it would be possible to accomplish this in an automated way by using the queries in an Automation Rule. I'll have to experiment with that.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events