Screens in simplified workflow

Johan Timander January 25, 2018

We had some problems creating the simplified wokflow. We just could not alter a project to use the Simplified workflow without versioning up (allthough the doc. said we really should be able to).  This make future changes a bit scary to do.

My problem/question is if there are actions that could nulify the Simplified Workflow unintentionally?

For example: Would adding a screen to the workflow be able to change it back or lock something... again?

So kind of an open ended question there. But still need some clever advice.

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2018

The short answer is "yes, things can break".  You should not edit a simplified workflow.  You won't do any damage by doing so, your data will be unharmed and everything will continue to work in Jira, no crashes or errors will happen.

But if your project admins amend the board, the workflow is automatically updated by that, and that can easily destroy ALL the editing you've done to the workflow.

If you change the workflow scheme, this will de-simplify the workflow.  It won't change the workflow, just disable the simplification features, and leaves you with a workflow that is now only editable by the admins again, and it's perfectly safe to edit that.  I often use simplification to quickly build a new workflow (editing a board is faster than creating each status and transition in the editor) and then de-simplify it so I can add in the post-functions, screens, validators etc.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2018

Johan, I’m trying to follow what your goal is. You mention creating the simplified. By name that workflow is a default work flow so don’t understand “creating”. You also mention versioning up which isn’t clear to me. 

Bottomline, if you want to associate a different workflow to a project you can do that in project>workflow. You can always create a ‘simplified’ workflow and associate it to issue types within a project. 

With that said, I expect I’m missing your issue here.

Johan Timander January 28, 2018

Two replies that helps. Thanks. 

We did not have other projects on the original workflow and all other requisites were ok.

We were able to create the simplified workflow with aid from atlassian consultant. 

So now I just want to know if there are known actions (other than the obvious) that could get us in trouble again. Such as the example above: we would like a resolution screen to pop up but are frankly afraid that this would result in us not having a simplified workflow any more. 

So the question is in essence: should I be afraid of adding screens?

Best regards, Johan

0 votes
Victor Florin Pana January 27, 2018

If the workflow that you want to simplify is also used by other projects, then you cannot simplify it. Maybe this was the case for your problem? 

Suggest an answer