Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Run automation rule from transition

Seems like one of the first things that Jira should support is running an automation rule from a transition, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

I believe that I could do it the following way, but it seems like a total hack:

1) Create an automation rule which is triggered from an external webhook

2) Add a webhook to our system that points to the automation rules webhook

3) In the post function of the transition, run an "external webhook", which just points to our automation webhook. I'm not sure if the hooks are compatible though.

Thoughts?

2 answers

0 votes

Hi @Benjamin Peikes

In automation page, there is trigger called "Issue Transitioned". Selecting from and to statuses should solve your issue. Selecting a specific transition (with id) is not supported.

Thats exactly the issue. If you have a transition which goes from and to the same status, ie what is now called an “action” in the UI, this doesnt work.

I dont understand how Atlassian implemented Automation, and didnt make it available from transitions.

it is truly a pain as you can have several transition from an to the same statuses... so...

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Sep 24, 2021

Hi Benjamin,

What do you mean by a transition? When an issue transition from one status to another? 

Yes and no. We have “transitions” which map from any status back to the same status. The fact that Automation cant be associated with a transition is pretty ridiculous.

Like Dimitrios Moschovitis likes this
John Funk Community Leader Sep 26, 2021

Well, Automation certainly CAN be associated with a transition. You can create a rule with a trigger for Issue Transitioned and select the to and from statuses if you like. 

The issue is that it cant be associated with a specific transition, it can be associated with a start status and an end status, so if you have two “transitions” from one state to another, you can’t have the automation rule run on one of them.

I dont understand why Atlassian didnt make running an automation rule as an option for Post functions in a workflow.

Like Dimitrios Moschovitis likes this
John Funk Community Leader Oct 03, 2021

I think they are aware of that situation and probably have it in their backlog to make the fix. First, realized that Atlassian didn't create the app - they acquired it in the last couple of years and their will be things to work through. 

Second, what I do in those cases is set a value of a custom field that can then be used to trigger the rule instead of the actual transition. Should I have to do that? No. Does it work? Yes. 

I hope that helps a little. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

177 views 2 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you