Rule to copy custom field from parent when a child issue is created

Chris Dunford August 27, 2022

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to implement this rule:

When a linked issue is created
And the type of the new issue's link is "child of"
Then copy a custom field from the parent

This seems simple enough, but nothing I've tried has resulted in the field being copied.

Any hints appreciated.

TIA

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2022

Hi @Chris Dunford 

With Automation, I found the below way, please check and let me know if it works

Choose the Issue linked trigger and select "child of"

Next is the Action to edit the issue by copying the data from the Destination link as shown below

Links.png

Thanks,
Pramodh

Chris Dunford August 28, 2022

Thanks, this works and is nicer than using smart values. It's a bit weird: issue B is a child of issue A, but issue A is not the parent of issue B. I guess "parent issue" is only for subtasks/epics (as Trudy says below).

Anyway, thanks again.

Chris

Like Pramodh M likes this
0 votes
Chris Dunford August 27, 2022

I think I figured this out, need to use a smart value for the value to set in the custom field:

{{destinationIssue.MyCustomFieldName}}

I'm not sure why this works when "copy from parent" doesn't. but there it is.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2022

Hello @Chris Dunford 

If you are using the generic issue linking function then Jira does not recognize the parent/child relationship between the issues, regardless of the name you give to the link relationship. The only parent/child relationships Jira understands are between an Epic and its child issues, and between an issue and its sub-tasks.

If you would like to discuss this more and review your rule, please let us know how  the link is being created and show us the details of your rule.

Like Chris Dunford likes this
Chris Dunford August 28, 2022

Thank, Trudy. Pramodh's solution works for me.

Chris

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events