Rule, that makes a field value equal to the other value from other field

Aleksey Sivaks April 28, 2021

We have the following fields for our tasks: Assignee, Developer, Tester

And a part of our flow is: TO DO - IN PROGRESS - TO TEST

I want to create a rule that sets the value of Assignee = Developer when the issue is moved from TO DO to IN PROGRESS and Assignee = Tester when it is moved from IN PROGRESS to TO TEST. Please tell me if it is possible and if yes how can I do it.

1 answer

2 votes
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

Hi @Aleksey Sivaks , welcome to the community! This is certainly possible. You could always use the Copy Value From Other Field post-function in the workflow to copy he value from one field to another, but if you wanted to create an automation rule (e.g. if the workflow is shared and you won't want to apply this logic to everything which uses it), here's what I would do:

I would recommend for simplicity having two separate rules - one triggered from the To Do --> In Progress status change and one triggered from the In Progress --> To Test status change.

Each rule will then use the Edit Issues action - the first rule will be editing the Developers field, the second will be editing the Testers field.

You should use the smart value {{issue.assignee}} in the first rule to copy the assignee to the developer field. Then in the second rule, you will be setting the value of the Tester field to {{issue.Developer}} (change this to the exact name of your field).

users.png

Aleksey Sivaks May 7, 2021

I enter Manage workflow for this board, then I select the transaction and open RULES. There are the following rules there:

Assign an issue to someone

Update an issue field

Restrict who can move an issue

Check that an issue has been through a status

Check an issue's field

Please tell me where can I found Copy Value From Other Field post-function?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events