Roadmaps for Jira Work Management projects

Brandon Fish July 19, 2021

The timeline feature in Work Management projects is not as full-featured as the roadmap in software projects.  For one, tasks do not roll-up to their parent epics.  There does not seem to be a method to group tasks together using versions either.  Compare:

Screenshot 2021-07-19 101449.jpg

Roadmap:
Screenshot 2021-07-19 102349.jpg

I thought I was going to be clever and create a "master" project for a team where they could view nice roadmaps for their projects.  Nope, roadmaps only work if the issues are in the current project only.

image (17).png

I'm guessing there is no other work-around.

It feels like JWM projects are a little half-baked.  I already have users asking if they can just use the competing product that we migrated them away from.

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2021

Hi Brandon,

Jira Work Management is a very new product and is continuing being improved upon. The Timeline is a different tool than the Roadmap tool, but the Atlassian folks are continuing to upgrade it and make it better. 

Yes, it's clear that it is a work in progress.  It's a bit frustrating that even though we pay for the full Jira Software platform that we can't make use of some of those features.  In fact, in a certain way, some things are harder for us because I'm not allowed to grant our users the ability to create JWM projects.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

Considering that function didn't even exist until a couple of months ago, I don't believe there was a price increase that was charged for this functionality. 

Brandon Fish July 20, 2021

You are missing the point entirely.

I, as an administrator for a Jira Software instance, have less control over how my users are able to utilize JWM templates compared to an admin of a JWM only instance.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2021

You're right - I don't understand that point at all. That was nowhere in your question - you are comparing apples with oranges between Jira Software projects and Jira Work Management projects. 

Jade Melcher January 25, 2022

One year later and stories still don't roll up to epics and there haven't been too many improvements to these. unfortunate as our marketing team of 90 wants to leverage but we may need to move them to an entirely different tool.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2022
Yannic De Baets December 10, 2022

@John Funk 

Hello John,

Is there any update on this? It is really a pitty that these functionalities are quite different between both setups. 

One thing i wonder: why is the Roadmap functionality (JSW) not copied over to the JWM-"Timeline" functionality? (then this was immediately the same functionality as in JSW)

Another question: will, on one point in time, both the Roadmap (in JSW) and Timeline (in JWM) become (nearly) the same as functionality (so both become as transparent as possible between both setups JSW & JWM)? 

From UX-standpoint, i presume that would be the best (so when people/teams/companies move from possibly JSW to JWM the "transfer" would be very "light" on change)?

Like Igor Repeta likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2022

Hi @Yannic De Baets  - Sorry, but I have no update or answers to any of your questions. Someone from Atlassian would have to provide those. 

Like Yannic De Baets likes this
Omer Jackobson December 12, 2022

@John Funk nesting tasks and stories in Epics in JWM project's timeline should be a basic feature. I'm quite shocked honestly that this is not supported.

Like Filip Callewaert likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2022

Once again, you should discuss that with someone from Atlassian. 

Jack Horley February 20, 2023

Do we have any updates from Atlassian yet?

This lack of development in the roadmaps / timeline feature is a bit disappointing having had that functionality before we migrated from Jira Software.

Like # people like this
Micheal Planck June 13, 2023

Six months on and no change.

But it's so much worse. When you import a table to Confluence, you can't filter by Epic Links because JWM does not have Epic Links. It has Parent links, which are not supported by half of Jira and Confluence, even though apparently Parent links will eventually replace Epic Links.

Atlassian employs so many programmers. I honestly do not understand what they do all day.

Anyway, I'm going to recast my work management project into Jira Software and see if that works better. I'm doing all the timelines in MS Project anyway; I literally just need a task tracker.

Like Jason Webster likes this
0 votes

To be clear, the board filter only contained one project, the JWM project.  It did not contain issues from the "master" project where the board resides.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events