Roadmap does not show done epics

Beatrice Daehler January 4, 2021

Hi, I am trying to see the completed epics in the roadmap, but the view is empty when I select the option in the settings. Completed epics also don't show up in the view all option. Is this a bug or did I miss anything? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2021

Hi @Beatrice Daehler ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Neither it is bug nor you have missed something. Atlassian Provides this feature to hide Done Epics in Roadmap after 14 days of inactivity. If you want to see them you can search as you search for the issue.

Please check these 2 links for further clarification.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-the-roadmap/

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17996

I hope it will help you.

Beatrice Daehler January 4, 2021

Hey @Monika Rani , thanks for the reply. I did adjust the view to include all epics and not clear the board. But it did not influence the roadmap view, unfortunately. It still does not include any of the Epics marked as Done.

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2021

@Beatrice Daehler can you mark any test epic as done now and check, if epic does not have any activity since 14 days then it will not be shown in the roadmap view.

Beatrice Daehler January 6, 2021

@Monika Rani that works and the test epic is visible in the roadmap. We wanted to use the roadmap tool also to know what have we done in the past, so not having completed epics visible after 14 days is a bit disappointing. Any chance this will be changed in the future?

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2021

@Beatrice Daehler I do not have any idea for the future.

@Monika Rani thanks for your help! Do you know where I could raise a request like this?

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2021

@Beatrice Daehler  https://support.atlassian.com/ you can raise your request if they have any feature like this they will tell you otherwise guide to raise the feature request ticket.

Thanks so much @Monika Rani ! I created a suggestion.

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2021

@Beatrice Daehler  That's Great. Please accept this answer so that others also can take help.

Like Beatrice Daehler likes this
Andreas Lärkfeldt February 15, 2021

This is insane! :) Why can't we show "inactive" "done" epic if we want to? :)

Anybody created an issue that we can vote for?

Like # people like this
Albert Kavelar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2021

Hello @Beatrice Daehler and @Andreas Lärkfeldt ,

apologies for the late reply here, I have only recently been made aware of this question as the related feature request has been tagged with a component relating to a different product and only recently got updated, so I got this on my radar now. My name is Albert and I work as the team lead of the team building the roadmaps experience your question relates to.

The roadmap should absolutely show issues that have been resolved more than 14d ago, so this sounds like either a misconfiguration or a bug.

Without further information it is very difficult to properly assess the issue, some things to potentially look at:

• Do open epics that get resolved from the roadmap also disappear w/o the ability to get them show up again? Or is this only impacting previously resolved epics?
  • How did epics get resolved/closed? Are you using the issue workflow status (the status selector from the issue view), or are you using the Epic Status? In case of the epic status, the issue will not show on the roadmap, similar to the epic panel on the backlog (won't show either). So maybe the epic status has been set to "Done" and this made the epic disappear?
  • What does your board JQL filter look like?

The most effective way to investigate this would be to raise support request at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/ and share the support ticket so I can prioritise this with my team. Through the support request, we can ask for access to your instance (i.e., we can then request your consent for getting access) which would be the quickest to investigate and get an understanding of the root cause.

Sorry again this has fallen through the cracks and that I have not seen this request when it was raised originally. I'd love to resolve your issue, please raise a support  request ticket, share the link with me and I can get the team investigate this.

Best regards,
Albert Kavelar | Jira Software Cloud

0 votes
Henry Su
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2021

Hello folks,

I suspect the issue that some of you are experiencing is because the due date field hasn't been configured in a specific way. Please see the steps under "Recently completed issues not showing on your roadmap" from https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/troubleshoot-the-roadmap/.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Henry

Fabrice Braccini October 12, 2021

Hi Henri Su

Thanks your feedbacks is really helpfull.

But is there a way to "mark as done" EPICs in "Backlog EPICS on the left side of the board." and not filter these marked EPICS in the roadmap ? We want to keep displaying closed EPICS in roadmap view but not in Backlog view where we prepare sprint activity.

Also, the rank of these EPICS are the same between Roadmap view and Scrum backlog view. This is not userfriendly because in Scrum backlog view, we have to order EPICS by priority, but in roadmap view it's better to order them chronologically.

Henry Su
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2021

Hey Fabrice,

If I understand correctly, you wish to display all epics on the roadmap, including epics that have already been completed. To do this, you can click on the "View Settings" button near the top right of the roadmap page (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/customize-your-view-on-the-roadmap/). A panel will slide in, and there is an option to show completed, incompleted, or ALL epics. Please keep in mind that the roadmap is limited to only showing epics from up to 1 year ago, and up to 2 years into the future.

As for the epic ordering, unfortunately there currently isn't any way to order the backlog and roadmap differently, but I will pass this feedback to the team.

Kind regards,

Henry

Fabrice Braccini October 19, 2021

Hi Henry Su

Thanks for your answer.

The issue is epics "marked as done" in scrum backlog pannel are filtered in roadmap, even with the view setting "all epics".

Henry Su
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2021

Hey @Fabrice Braccini

Thanks for that detail. Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant earlier.

So, in my previous comment, I was talking about the standard Issue status of the epic. That is the colored dropdown menu that you see near the top of the issue details panel.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 10.31.38.png

However, I believe you are referring to is the "Mark as done" option from the epic dropdown menu that you can find in company-managed (classic) project epic panel. It isn't very obvious, but this option will change the Epic status of that epic, which is a different field. If you wish to learn more about this, please see this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver0811/working-with-epic-statuses-1019393039.html. You could think of the Epic status as a way to "archive" the epic, meaning it will not show on the board / backlog / roadmap, but you can still find it via Issue search. If you want to complete the epic, but still keep it around / visible, then you would need to revert the Epic status, and use the Issue status instead. Unfortunately, I am not aware of a method to hide the epic only from the epic panel.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 10.35.12.png

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Henry

Wojciech Juszczyński May 10, 2022

@Henry Su 

Hey!

Is there a plan to add a filter to show Epics on Roadmap even if they were "marked as done" on Epic panel in the Backlog view? 

If there are a lot of DONE Epics in the project it is wise to clear the Epic panel in the Backlog to have a better visibility BUT then they won't appear on Roadmap anymore - and it is nice to see what was achieved in the past (at least for last 12 months as this is the max option to set in FREE Roadmaps). I think because those are 2 separate "features" (Epic panel in the Backlog AND Roadmap) and are used for different purposes - they should be connected in that way. If I don't want to see "marked as done" Epics it is the same for me as DONE Epics so I will just filter them out. 

Best regards, 
Wojciech

Like Angela-Ramona Grigore likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events