Restricting access to specific issue types

Deleted user May 5, 2022

Hi 

We use JIRA Service Management for all of our HR Ticketing, including Recruiting requests. Right now, all of our "agents" have access to all issue types. 

I want to restrict our recruiting team to only have access to Recruiting Tickets and Tickets assigned to them. 

I looked at Issue Security Levels, Permissions, and other security steps but I couldn't figure out how to restrict issue types from view for specific people. 

Any suggestions?

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2022

Hi Angela,

Security Levels is definitely the route to go. Create a level and choose Current Assignee. You should also add the Project Role for Administrator at the least so someone else can also see the ticket. 

Make the level the default so it will be added to all created tickets. Then the people will only be able to see tickets assigned to them. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2022

So what is not working with what you have set up? Can you show some screenshots of your levels? And then what's not working with it?

Deleted user May 5, 2022

I guess I'm just not understanding how to actually set it up. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 7.53.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-05 at 7.53.25 AM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

You should just have one Scheme with two different levels. 

Next, can you show a screen shot of the details of the level? 

Deleted user May 5, 2022

Oh my gosh, I feel silly. I didn't click ADD I just kept clicking Edit. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.05.00 AM.png

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

Haha - we have all done that I am sure. So select Current Assignee there for the one where only assignees can see it. And then you have to do another add to select Project Role and add Administrators.

Deleted user May 5, 2022

Ok so I should have a default level - that enables my entire team to have access to everything. 

And then another level that allows access just to recruiting tickets. 

Deleted user May 5, 2022

Like This?

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.10.22 AM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

No, you should add the project role in the same level. Each ticket can only be assigned to one level, so you need to be sure that each level has sufficient permissions for those that need to see those tickets. 

If you leave the Assignee one as is, No one but the assignee would be able to see it, and I don't think you want that. 

Here's a partial of one of our levels:

screenshot.png

Deleted user May 5, 2022

Oooooh ok I see. So like this?  So then how do I make sure that recruiting can only see recruiting and current assignee?

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.27.07 AM.png

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

Yes!!!   :-)

Deleted user May 5, 2022

So how do we associate the security levels to the actual issues? 

How does it know that Recruiters only get access to the Recruiting Request Issue Type?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

You can setup an automation to do that. Or you can manually update them as they are created. If you have one of them set as default - that will be what gets put on all tickets when they are created. 

Deleted user May 5, 2022

So just so I'm understanding right. 

The way my security settings are set up now. it's by assignee? or everyone can see everything.  

To make sure it's set up so that recruiters only see recruiting tickets, they have to be assigned to the user? Or I can set up an automation to assign it to the security level?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

You update the security level field for the ticket to select the level you set up. 

0 votes
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

Hi @[deleted] ,

You can achieve that by using the Issue Security Schemes, that you can parameter as a Jira Admin : Security Schemes Documentation 

And you'll need to create a specific Jira user group for the Security Team.

Let me know if it helps, 

Guilhem

Deleted user May 5, 2022

I looked through all that and still couldn't figure out how to make it work. 

We have one service desk: HR Service Desk 

We have 16 different Issue Types. 

4 people on the team only need access to 1 issue type and any tickets that are assigned to them. 

All other ppl on the team need access to all issue types. 

Darlene Jeter () November 9, 2022

Unless you configured your JSM with Issue type and Request Type with a 1:1 relationship, this solution will not work for you. 

Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Hi @[deleted] ,

Darlene is right,

If the documentation is not enough and you need help to configure your issue type scheme, you can ask your Jira Admin or contact an Atlassian Partner

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events