Restricted assignablity

Anette Noll December 2, 2022

Hi all,

following problem I cannot solve:

• We have role for customers
    The most important characteristic of this role is, that customer is not allowed to assign
  • Nevertheless, we want to enable customer to assign to certain groups
  • This works partly; i.e. icustomer creates an issue and can choose assignee from user picker field; issue then will be assigned to the person selected;
    this part works
  • Once issue is created and he wants to edit assignee via exactly the same user picker field it does not work

I am really curious where is the mistake.

Please see screenshots from create and edit screen and postfunctions (it is the same for create and edit):

Create_Edit_Screen.PNG

Postfunction.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

HI @Anette Noll

The customer is selecting a user in a user picker custom field; is that correct? And you use an automation rule to edit the Assignee field then. But they would edit the built-in Assignee field in Jira after the issue creation? Did you ensure the user has the corresponding permission in the project to assign issues?

Best, Max

Hi @Max Foerster - K15t

"The customer is selecting a user in a user picker custom field; is that correct?"
Correct

"And you use an automation rule to edit the Assignee field then."
Yes

"But they would edit the built-in Assignee field in Jira after the issue creation?"
Yes

"Did you ensure the user has the corresponding permission in the project to assign issues?"
No, this role has no assign privilege;
I do not understand, why customer can assign from the restricted user picker custom field in the moment of creating the issue, but not assign to another person from the user picker custom field although it is the same underlying automation than for creation.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

No, this role has no assign privilege;
I do not understand, why customer can assign from the restricted user picker custom field in the moment of creating the issue, but not assign to another person from the user picker custom field although it is the same underlying automation than for creation.

Hey @Anette Noll , you said that they would edit the Jira built-in Assignee field after the issue creation in your response. Not your created custom field.

"But they would edit the built-in Assignee field in Jira after the issue creation?"
Yes

That makes a huge difference. The built-in Assignee field requires and utilizes specific permissions (Assign issue, assignable user, etc.) and also triggers different events in Jira. Your custom field is just a plain user picker.

Could you please verify what field they are editing? I feel that someone is also using translations for the Assignee field and created a similarly named custom field which can cause confusion.

Best, Max

Hi @Max Foerster - K15t,

"you said that they would edit the Jira built-in Assignee field after the issue creation in your response. Not your created custom field."

Please excuse my imprecise way to explain it.
User cannot of course edit Jira built-in Assignee field as he/she has no assign permission. The same custom field is used as in the create screen and post function is supposed to copy it into the assign field.
Field IDs are identical in create and edit.

Anette Noll December 4, 2022

Hi, @Max Foerster - K15t 

Thanks for your feedback and time!

I have found a solution and it works now as required (mistake was in Run as)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events