Restrict access to tickets/issues

Lukasz Tymczak April 11, 2019

Hi,

I have recently created a project on Jira called 'Internal Service Desk' I am planning to use it for documenting internal service requests within my company.

Users will need to contact me directly with their request, then I will create a ticket/issue and description of the task within that project.

I wish to be able to assign some of the Jira users (either these who requested assistance or management) to some tickets (but I don't want them to have access to other tickets).

Currently I have set the project accessibility to 'Limited' (I don't want people to be able to add tickets but I want them to be able to add comments).

The problem is that when it is set to 'Limited' everyone within the company can access and view the tickets, I would prefer to have their access limited to the tickets in which I tag them only.

Example:

User A asks for a new laptop. I create an issue and tag that user so she/he can assist me with any further queries.

At the same time User B ask for assistance with software on their PC. Another ticket created and user B is tagged.

Currently users can see both tickets (also users not tagged within these tickets).

If I set the project to 'Private' - users can't see the tickets but I also can not assign them on the tickets (I need to add them to the project which in result open their access to other tickets).

My Question:

Is there any way of having a project which is by default closed to users, but where I can assign users to have access to particular tickets ONLY?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2019

Hi Lukasz,

I would like the user as the Reporter on the issue and then restrict the project with issue level security where the Reporter = currentUser

I hope that helps.

Lukasz Tymczak April 12, 2019

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion I am going to test this!

Sorry for n00b question - where I can restrict the project with issue level security?

I have only the following settings in my project:
isd.pngShould I access the Jira settings and amend it there? I tried to locate these settings there but I was unable - It might have something to do with the fact that it is a 'Next-gen Project'?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2019

Hi Lucasz - yes, it is very much because it is a Next gen project. 

One other solution is to create a board with a filter that includes something like this:

project = "Internal Service Desk" AND reporter = currentUser() 

See if that works for you. It will not prevent the user from seeing issues if they were to do a search by creating a filter, but the board would only show them their stuff. 

Not sure if Next-gen will be adding Issue level security or not - that is the only way to prevent a user from seeing an issue no matter how they search. 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2019

Oh, by the way, I create a second board that does not have the restriction of the reporter part so I can see all issues. But then I only share that filter with the Administrators group.  :-)

Lukasz Tymczak April 15, 2019

Thanks John,

I have switched back to classic project and I will see if I can change it here...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2019

Okay - let me know if you run into any further problems. 

Can you click on Accept Answer on this ticket for me?  :-)

Like Lukasz Tymczak likes this
Lukasz Tymczak April 15, 2019

Done,
I had a bit of fun with migrating project and re-configuring the work flow - but once this was done I was able to set a custom permission scheme for my service desk.

Now its time to test it :) 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2019

Thanks Lukasz!

Diallo October 4, 2019

Bonjour j'utilise Jira software, j'ai créer un projet pour la gestion des activités de tous les collaborateurs de la direction. Existe-t-il un moyen de faire en sorte qu'un projet soit fermé par défaut aux utilisateurs, mais que je puisse affecter UNIQUEMENT les utilisateurs à l'accès à des tickets particuliers?

Lukasz Tymczak October 4, 2019

English please.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2019

Hello Diallo - Bienvenue dans la communauté Atlassian! Pour qu'un utilisateur puisse voir les problèmes liés à un projet, il doit disposer de l'autorisation Parcourir le projet dans le schéma d'autorisation associé au projet.

Ils doivent également disposer du privilège Utilisateur assignable pour que des problèmes leur soient affectés. Mais ce même utilisateur doit d'abord avoir les privilèges Parcourir le projet.

Diallo October 4, 2019

hello i can not speak english can i see a community leader with whom i can communicate in french please?

0 votes
Jojin June 20, 2023

Thank you John,  

We had similar requirement and tried adding restriction under Permission Scheme used on the project 

For Browse Project > grant permission to 'Current assignee' and 'Reporter'  

Now only the Assignee and reporter can view the issue.Restrict Issue level permission.png 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2023

Hi @Jojin  - It is better to create a new question so that more people can see it and can provide answers tailored to your needs. Feel free to tag me on it if you want. 

But quickly, yes, what you have will only allow the Current Assignee or Reporter and any Project Administrators to see any issues on the project. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2019

Translated Diallo's question to English using Google Translate:

Hello I use Jira software, I create a project for managing the activities of all employees of the management. Is there a way to have a project closed down by default to users, but I can ONLY assign users access to particular tickets?

And my response:

Hello Diallo - Welcome to the Atlassian community! For a user to see issues with a project, the user must have the Browse project permission in the Permissions Scheme associated with the project.

They must also have the Assignable User privilege to have problems assigned to them. But this same user must first have Browse Project privileges. 

ahmed_nasr December 12, 2022

AX

Suggest an answer