Rest API v3 Add Mention to Comment

Jim Gruszczynski October 28, 2019

I can successfully add a comment to an issue through the rest api, v3.  I am now trying to include a @Mention to a new comment.  I have tried @username, [~username], ~username, and [@username] to no avail.  Is there anyway to include a mention on a comment though the rest api?  I am currently using my own credentials to authenticate the api, I do have permission to create @Mentions.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2019

Hi @Jim Gruszczynski ,

If I understand correctly you can successfully add a comment using the REST API v3 endpoint /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/comment but you are unable to add user mentions in the body of the comment.

If my understanding is correct, then looking at the documentation for /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/comment I can read:

body

anything

The comment text in Atlassian Document Format.

If you open the Atlassian Document Format (ADF) page, on the left hand side menu, you can see a section named Node - mention that shows below example for adding a user mention in ADF:

{
  "type": "mention",
  "attrs": {
    "id": "ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE",
    "text": "@Bradley Ayers",
    "userType": "APP"
  }
}

I am pasting below all the useful links for your reference. Please review them, try to add the user mention using ADF and let us know if this works as expected:

Cheers,
Dario

Jim Gruszczynski October 31, 2019

Thank you very much @Dario B  this helped and I now have @mentions added to the comments.  Is there a way to get the email notifications to also be sent when the comment with a mention is added?

Thanks

Jim Gruszczynski

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2019

You are very welcome @Jim Gruszczynski ,

If the answer helped please remember to accept it so that the thread will be marked as answered.

Then, for the rest, can you kindly provide more details on what you mean with:

Is there a way to get the email notifications to also be sent when the comment with a mention is added?

The expected behavior is that users will receive notifications if they are mentioned in a comment. Please see below post for some more details:

Cheers,
Dario

Jim Gruszczynski November 1, 2019

Thank you for your quick reply.  When in the JIRA Software web site, when a user adds a comment with a @mention to another user, the other user will receive and email that they were mentioned in a comment.  Using the resources you pointed me at I was able to get the mention to work, but no emails were received by the mentioned users.

Thanks,

Jim  

Jim Gruszczynski November 1, 2019

@Dario B disregard the mentions not sending notifications, that is working, it did not notify my account when I added a mention to myself.  This seems reasonable.

Thanks Jim

Dario B
Atlassian Team
November 1, 2019

@Jim Gruszczynski ,

Nice to know this is working!

Also, you can actually configure Jira to also send notifications for your own changes. As mentioned in the Configuring email notifications documentation page this is something you can actually set in your user profile: 

Jira's default setting is to not notify users of their own changes. This can be changed on a per user basis via their profile preferences.

For more details please see:

Cheers,
Dario

Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2021

@Dario B Thanks for the details. This is preciously what i was looking for. Only issue is instead of accountid if this could take email id, that would have been much simpler to code

Like Dario B likes this
8 votes
Abhishek Singh Negi September 10, 2020

Alternate solution:

URI- https://<domain-name>/rest/api/3/issue/{issueKey}/comment

request body- 

{    

"body": "[~accountid:5d9d467e0d44fc0dca5413e7] <your comment>"

}

Henry Avila February 4, 2021

thaks @Abhishek Singh Negi 

Solved my problem

Like Dario B likes this
Emily Deleff July 1, 2021

I was looking for a solution for use with jira-python, and this did the trick. Thanks!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer