Resolution field in new issue view

Sarah Noor May 24, 2019

I want to update/edit the resolution field like other fields in the new jira view, especially when I mark an issue as done/complete. I am not able to see the resolution field on the new jira issue view, I need to switch back to old view and then update resolution when needed.

I have tried adding new screens, workflows and everything, but that only works for the old view.

5 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2019

Hello @Sarah Noor 

Currently setting resolution in new issue view is not possible.

Please see this open ticket

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69556

Ability to set the resolution in the new issue full-view

Sarah Noor May 24, 2019

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2019

Welcome @Sarah Noor , if the answer helped you, please accept/upvote so that other users are also helped. thanks.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2019

The resolution field is in fact there in the new issue view but it is not labeled and just to the right of the status but only appears when there is a value other than unresolved. Unresolved = blank.

Like Tarun Sapra likes this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2019

image.png

Yes, resolution (Done) appears next to status! but it's non-editable.

Like Gremon Jay likes this
Sarah Noor May 24, 2019

@Jack Brickey  by "Field" i mean the text/dropdown field where i can select the values i want, not just the text already added for resolution.

Like Lisa Carolan likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2019

you will only get that in a transition screen, e.g. when you transition to Done. That is typically the use case. Is there some other use case you are trying to address?

Like Tarun Sapra likes this
Sarah Noor May 26, 2019

i am not able to see that in this case as well.

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2019

Hello @Sarah Noor 

In next-gen projects, it's not possible currently to have the transition screen with resolution field value which you can choose.

But in the classic project (with new cloud )view, you can add a transition screen to the workflow transition and the transition screen can have the resolution field which has list of options which the user can select.

Like # people like this
Tom Spurling December 10, 2020

It's a bit of a step backward in UX terms to only be able to set this in the transition dialog. This may seem minor but it adds up quickly if you deal with a lot of tickets.

Before:

• Only one click to set Done (default which is sensible almost always)
  • Two more clicks to change resolution if needed

Now:

• Two clicks every time, involving large awkward mouse movements
  • Have to go through the workflow cycle again to get back to the transition screen, if you accidentally chose the wrong resolution on your one chance to choose.

Please can we have an edit dropdown back?

Like David Tenne likes this
Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2021

Hi everyone, 

My name is Loretta and I am a Product Manager in the Jira Cloud team. I am pleased to announce that the ability to edit the resolution field of an issue is now available on the new issue view.

The resolution field appears when an issue is closed and if the resolution field has been configured to the issue type in the screen scheme (issues > screens > configure).  When this field is added, the resolution will appear as a select list when the issue is moved to a done status:

change-resolution.png 

As part of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70476 we have also recently released the display of the resolved date and time.

Thanks

Jira Cloud Team

None April 8, 2021

Hi Loretta,

Is it possible to display the Resolution field when the status is something other than Done?

For our process, we only allow the engineering team to transition to a Done status. This is to ensure that tickets move through our workflow properly, and also so certain fields, like Fix Versions, are set correctly. However, this can be limiting in certain ways. For example, if PM has determined that a ticket can be closed as Won't Do, they need to work with an engineer to close the ticket rather than being able to do it themself.

So, I added conditions that allow other team member to close a ticket only if the Fix Versions is "Not Applicable" and the Resolution is Cannot Reproduce, Won't Do, Won't Fix, or Duplicate. On the new view, they can't set the Resolution if the ticket's status is something other than Done, which defeats the purpose. So, they need to switch to the old view.

I have found no other way to accomplish what we need. The first thing I tried was to set a Validator on the transition, but none of the options available allowed me to check the value of those two fields, including the Regular Expression Check which only supports a subset of fields.

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

EDIT:

I wanted to add that we are a Jira Cloud customer.

Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2021

Hi there @None 

Unfortunately the resolution cannot be displayed when the status is not Done. This was to follow our best practices on using the resolution field, as documented here

One thing you could consider doing is adding an additional DONE status category to your workflow for your non-engineering users to utilise?

eaigner January 4, 2022

Doesn't work for me. Resolution field is configured on all screens, yet it is not editable.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2021

Hi everyone, 
My name is Loretta and I am a Product Manager working on the new issue view in Jira. I am pleased to announce that the ability to edit the resolution field of an issue is now available on the new issue view. The resolution field appears when an issue is closed and if the resolution field has been configured to the issue type. The resolved date and time of the issue will also appear.

Thanks for all your feedback

0 votes
Alan Tragarz December 10, 2019

Is there a way to hard code into the old view so we can have the functionality we expect working?

0 votes
Andrew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2019

Hi @Sarah Noor ,

Could You please tell You can't see or edit the field?

If not see check screen schemes. 'Where is my field?' help you.

12345.PNG
If can't edit look here https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-do-i-edit-closed-issues-779160787.html

B.R. 

Sarah Noor May 24, 2019

this is also only in the old view, not the new view.this is also only in the old view, not the new view.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer