You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
We were originally only using the "status" field in JIRA to track when something is closed. We have since discovered the value of the "resolution" field in JIRA and are now hoping to add this function back for two of our projects. However, I've run into a few questions.
1) If I update the workflow by adding a post function, do I need to update anything else in the settings (i.e. screens, schemes, etc) or will the workflow suffice?
2) This might be answered in the previous question, but if I have multiple resolution options (done, won't fix, etc), where will the user be able to select this field? I'm guessing it is probably related to a transition screen/scheme, but figured I would check.
3) We are hoping to tie our resolution of Done with our status of Closed. By introducing the post function into our workflow, will all of the previous JIRA tickets get automatically updated with the resolution, or will I need to perform a mass update?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Agree with Ismael for number 1 above - it should definitely work.
For number 2, we actually have different statuses (and therefore transitions) for different types of resolutions. We use Discard for issues that are dropped and never started. We use Aborted for issues that were started but we are not going to finish. That way we can keep metrics on those.
So for Discard and Aborted, we set the Resolution to Obsolete. And with the Closed (Done) transition, it is simply set to Done.
You will definitely need to do a bulk edit for number 3.
I hope that helps!
1. Updating the workflow post function will suffice if only one resolution would be set every time. If not add a screen to the transition that contains the resolution field.
2. Answered in 1
3. Previous tickets need to be updated using bulk edit function. Jira doesn’t automatically change it.
Hope this helps.
1) Post function will do the job
2) Transition and therefore the post function is associated with a particular status unless you reuse the transition. Never had discrepancies with this
3) Unfortunately no, however, you can try our free addon (Quantify) that has a special tool for this. Because we provide insights for Kanban boards like throughput (rate of resolved ticket per unit of time) we have the data to fix this.