Reporting for component within a project

Liam Spence January 13, 2022

If I have five dev teams all working on the same product, following the same release plan. Would the best way to set this up be using 1 project and having 5 components representing each dev team?

Also, on the reporting side, can I generate component level reporting to see what each dev team is doing? Can I view burndown charts for each team and also control charts?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hi @Liam Spence -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You note that:

If I have five dev teams all working on the same product, following the same release plan. Would the best way to set this up be using 1 project and having 5 components representing each dev team?

From that I can guess you have a company-managed project because you are using components.  If your teams used separate boards (each with a filter including their component) then each team will have separate reports.

Kind regards,
Bill

Liam Spence January 14, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy - thanks for your response! 

Is there any guidance or links to a guidance doc on how to set up the teams with separate boards along with a filter?

If not I can have a play around and figure it out

Cheers,

Liam

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2022

Hi, Liam.

Essentially you create a component for each team, create and save a filter which returns issues just for that team's component, and then create a board from the saved filter.  An example filter would be:

project = MyProjectName and component = MyTeamAComponent ORDER BY Rank ASC

Here are some support references to help you:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/organize-work-with-components/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-board/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-a-company-managed-board/

Remember to check the saved filter's permissions to ensure it is visible to the team members.

Like # people like this
Liam Spence January 18, 2022

Thanks, @Bill Sheboy ! Very helpful having the reference links too. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 14, 2022

Hi @Liam Spence , 

Another reporting option that would work is Pivot Report we are developing. It's all about slicing and dicing data from Jira issues from a single or multiple projects is not a problem. 

As a vendor, I can't post links to external resources here, so please check demo links on the Marketplace page. Or ping me for a demo if needed. 

Liam Spence January 14, 2022

Hey @Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_ 

I'll take a look at a few demos on the marketplace and let you know it I need a demo

Cheers,

Liam

0 votes
Oskars Laganovskis
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2022

Hi @Liam Spence,

If you go for multiple components representing each dev team, I might suggest an app for reporting.

The eazyBI reports and charts for Jira app allows creating reports and dashboards across multiple reporting dimensions. The Component is a default hierarchy level for projects.

With just a few clicks, you can get from the project to a specific or several components.

You may get a glimpse of reporting options in some of the demo dashboards below.

Project-overview dashboard 

Agile dashboard 

All this and more customization possibilities are available already during a 30-day free trial.

Please feel free to explore and do not hesitate to ask for more.

Oskars / eazyBI support

Liam Spence January 13, 2022

Thanks for the quick response @Oskars Laganovskis !

Does your response mean:

1. that is is not possible to report at component level within the JIRA reports, you have to use an app?
  2. it is possible to report at component level with JIRA but eazyBI is just a better option in terms of the UI it provides?

Thanks,

Liam

Oskars Laganovskis
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2022

The second option.

It is possible to set up separate boards for Burndown charts and create quick filters for Control charts also on the component level.

However, the app is a lot more convenient solution in terms of UI.

Take a look, feel the difference, and then make a decision.

Oskars / eazyBI support

Like Liam Spence likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events