Report showing all epics with user story status

Johan Holmer Lindell April 9, 2013

I'm looking for a way to create an overview report where I can list all epics planned for a release with user story status included. The report should be possible to export to different formats, html for easy sharing and excel for further processing like adding risk assessments etc.

Example:

Epics valid for release 1

----

My first epic

User story X Done

User story Y In progress

My second epic

User story A Done

User story B Done

My third epic

User story L Todo

User story K Todo

Today I'm solving this with plain JIRA and Excel, is evaluating Greenhooper but can't find a way to do this.

(Plain JIRA is adding my own user-story issue type plus an epic project to get the epic->user-story->subtask hierarchy, works fine)

Any ideas?

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

Johan, Structure plugin can build a hierarchy based on your Epic-Story relationships and export it to Excel.

1. Create a structure (or use the initially created "Global Structure")
  2. Use Manage Structure page, locate your structure and use "Import" action. Import from "Filter", and use the same filter that defines your Agile board. This will populate the initially empty structure with the issues you have in GreenHopper, but the list will be flat.
  3. Now to get the hierarchy, use "Import" again, and select "GreenHopper". Select applicable projects, specify "Epic Field" to be "Scrum Board Epics". Don't select any Rank field. Run import and you'll have the issues in Structure rearranged as the hierarchy.
  4. Open Structure board and configure grid columns, then press Excel button. You'll get an Excel file with those columns and the hierarchy.

You can also configure the synchronizers to automatically maintain the structure in actual state.

More information in the docs:

Excel export: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/G4KF

Import and synchronization: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/hQBg

Hope this helps!
Igor

Disclosure: I work for the company behind Structure plugin

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

I second the recommendation for Structure - this plugin is awesome. :)

kim delgadillo April 13, 2019

The AIO plugin easily does the job!

1 vote
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013

The Links Hierachy Structure plug-in can provide that report:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211022

1. Create a filter to get all the issues with type = Epic

2. Run the Filter Hiearchy Structure Report and select the filter create above

3. Set the max depth of the structure to 1 and apply any required extra filter until you get just the information you what are looking for.

4. Export to Excel

Or you might create a Traceability Matrix Report to view Epics vs Stories in a matrix view (no export to Excel currently supported)

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 8, 2021

Hi All,

I know it is a bit late to answer this, but many people keep looking for an easy solution to this problem. We have built an add-on to manage multiple Epics and their hierarchy on a single page. You may want to try it out.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.

Key features:

• Epic Sum
  • Configure progress % calculation on either "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Epic Tree directly on Issue Screen
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL support for Epic Hierarchy screen
  • Time in Status report using JQL
  • Issue Tracker to view complete transitions on your issue screen
    • Status Transition : View all the status changes in a single tab along with average time and count in each status. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.
    • Assignee Transition : View all the assignees for the issue along with the time for which the issue was with each assignee. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud_Edit.png

0 votes
kapil mehta January 7, 2021

If you do not have plugins and still want to do the job anyhow, the below method can be used.

After I stuck in the same issue, I came with one solution using MS Excel. 

Export the data in CSV for any project. You must need "Epic Link" in extraction. In my case, it's on the T column in XLS. And, 2 columns I inserted - parent and epic parent.

Then Apply these formulas for the 4th and 5th columns.

The formula for the 4th column (Parent).

IF(J2="Epic",A2,(IF(T2<>0,T2,IF(C2=0,"NA",IF(J2="Sub-task",INDEX($A$2:$A$319,MATCH(C2,$B$2:$B$319,0)),"NA")))))

The formula for the 5th column (Epic Parent).

IF(J2<>"Sub-task",D2,INDEX($D$2:$D$319,MATCH(D2,$A$2:$A$319,0)))

And, then do a custom sort on "Epic Parent" and then by "Issue Type".

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2019

Use the Better Excel Exporter app to solve this.

You can even create a custom export template that would produce a 100% ready-made report which requires no extra clicks after being exporter.

Suggest an answer