Replace cascading dropdown with simple list

Jemima James June 29, 2022

I want to replace a cascading dropdown list with a simple dropdown list. There are a number of issues that already use this field. How do I do this?

I don't want to create a new field and go to each individual issue and add a value.

Neither do I have jira automation app on my data center version nor can I have (due to reasons I cannot disclose).

2 answers

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2022

Hi @Jemima James 

Well you will have to create a new field and copy the data from old field to new one. ScriptRunner for Jira can do that if you have it or write a script outside Jira using REST API to do it.

Ravi

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 7, 2022

Hi @Jemima James

if you are open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this could done very easily with the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing and inline-editing all your issue fields. You can also easily copy/paste values from one field to another (just like e.g. in Excel or Google Sheets), for any number of issues in one action.

So what you could do is to,

• first, create your new field,
  • in JXL, select all issues that have the previous field set,
  • simply copy/paste the values from one field to the other.

This is how this looks in action:

bulk-copy-paste.gif

One thing to consider is that the options of the old field and the new field must match. If that's not feasible, you can easily add an intermediate step and copy from JXL to e.g. Excel/Google Sheets, fix any data mismatches, and copy back from Excel/Google Sheets to JXL.

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer