Reopened tasks don't appear on dashboard

Soporte Cinfo November 2, 2020

Hi all,

I have a problem regarding Jira Software: when I reopen a task, pass from Complete state to a previous state, I can't see it on my dashboard like the rest of the open tasks.

For example:

1-I see a open task on my dashboard:

1.png

2-Then I complete that, but later I want to go back, so I move state from Complete to Review, but for some reason it doesn't appear on my dashboard or when I look for unresolved tasks. Instead, keep popping up on solved tasks:

Screenshot from 2020-11-02 10-39-33.png

My workflow's project it's very simple, as you can see it allows return to open state:

Screenshot from 2020-11-02 10-41-07.png

Could you show me how can I make reopened tasks appear as open?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Regards

2 answers

0 votes
Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2020

As Nic, this definitely has to be problem with Workflow. Check the transition when issue is marked as completed. Most probably, 'Resolution' field would be getting updated here. And when the issue is being reopened, the 'Resolution' field should get cleared (which mostly would be missing)

Hope this helps!

Soporte Cinfo December 17, 2020

Hi Milan,

I already have a post-function in transition from "Resolved" to "Reopen" that should activate the event "reopen task".

But at the end issue still appear as close in the dashboard (cross out), although status is reopen, and doesn't show on my assigned issues :_(

Thanks for your fast support.

Regards!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2020

My guess would be that your workflow is not clearing the resolution (specifically on the "reopen" transition).

Start by editing the workflow and looking at the reopen transition.  The most simple and common thing to do is have a post-function on it that says "update field, clear resolution"

Soporte Cinfo December 17, 2020

Hi Nic,

I already have a post-function in transition from "Resolved" to "Reopen" that should activate the event "reopen task":

img.png

Screenshot from 2020-12-17 10-06-58.png

But at the end issue still appear as close in the dashboard (cross out), although status is reopen, and doesn't show on my assigned issues:

Screenshot from 2020-12-17 10-39-33.png

Thanks for your fast support.

Regards!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

I think you have misunderstood post-functions and events.

The post-functions in a transition are actions that Jira takes when the transition is confirmed by the user and passes all validation.  The five post-functions you have listed are doing things Jira needs to do as part of the transition: changing the database, rebuilding the index for the issue, and sending an event etc.

The event is a generic thing, it does not do anything itself.  I think of it as an announcement to the rest of Jira that something has happened. 

There are things in Jira that watch the announcements and sometimes do things.  Notifications is the most obvious one - that system watches all the events and compares them with the notificiation scheme to see if an email should go out.  Coders and scripters often write other "listeners" to catch and act on events, but off-the-shelf, events do not do anything other than trigger emails.

So, the "reopen task" event is not actually going to do anything to the issue.  It's an output of doing the transition.

The problem you are having is happening because you are not clearing the resolution when you reopen the task.

To fix this, you need add a post function to the list in your screenshot, one that clears out the resolution.   It should be added before step 3 in the list.

Suggest an answer