Removing users who are no long in Active Directory

Daniel December 2, 2020

We have our JIRA Server sync'd with our Active Directory so that users can use 1 login credentials.  There are users who no longer exist in our Active Directory but instead of being removed from JIRA they are shown as inactive.

We've recently had a user who had the exact same name and username as a previous user and when they logged in, they assumed that old account.

Is there a way to completely remove old accounts who do not exist in AD anymore?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Jira renders users inactive rather than deleting them because the user may return and it may have data that Jira needs to keep an association with.

(By the way, you should never reuse an account identifier such as a user name - it's a breach of a lot of auditing and compliance rules, and possibly GDPR, not just a bad idea because of data integrity problems such as the one you are having here )

Daniel December 3, 2020

I know, I inherited this environment from the original developer who set it up and my knowledge of Jira is basic but I am trying to change it so it's more secure.

How would you suggest I resolve this? 

Thank you!

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2020

What resolution are you especially looking for?

- for the deactivation: just keep it like it is - for data integrity purposes
- for user names: in case a user with a particular username leaves 'jdoe' do never recycle this user name. For a second John Doe you can assign 'jodoe' or 'jdoe2'.

What else suggestion are you looking for?
What do you mean by more "secure"?

Suggest an answer