Removing duplicates in structure

Steve Battung April 10, 2023

I have read comments on using the following filter Remove Inserter/Extender duplicates to remove duplicate stories and sub-tasks.  It looks like this is not available on the jira cloud.  Is there an alternative JQL I can run?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 10, 2023

Hello @Steve Battung ,

You are correct, the Remove Inserter/Extender duplicates filter is not yet available on Cloud.

What we typically recommend is to avoid introducing issues via your Insert Generator that you plan to introduce via an Extend Generator later on.

So for example, if you plan to use the "Issues under Epics" and "Sub-tasks" extend Generators, rather than your Insert Generator saying :

project = "Project A"

You would want to adjust it to:

project = "Project A" AND issuetype = "EPIC"

This former will pull in all issues from the project, including your Tasks and Sub-tasks, and end up being duplicated as we use Extend Generators to build the hierarchy.

The latter will only add the Epics, leading to Tasks and Sub-tasks being added to the structure by the Extend Generators for the first time.

If your scenario is a little more complex and there is no way of avoiding the introduction of duplicates, you would want to create a JQL Filter that will identify the specific issues you want removed and set the level at which you want them removed.

Please let me know if this helps.

Best,
David

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders