Removing None on radio buttons (fields NOT displayed on Create Screen)

daf September 21, 2020

Everything I read tells me that if I 

A) Set the field to Mandatory

B) Define a default value

Then having a radio button with multiple values will cause the 'None' option to disappear.

I've done A and B (defining in Field configuration and context appropriately as far as I can tell), but "None" still keeps being displayed for the field in question.

One major difference from the other examples I've read is that this field is Mandatory, but I do NOT show it in the 'Create Issue' screen, it only shows up in the Edit/View set of screens.   

Fundamentally, I have a tab dedicated to walking through a list of other groups and deciding whether dependencies exist with them.  Options are 'Unknown', 'Not Needed', 'Needed', and 'Approved'.     'Unknown' is the default and 'None' has raised questions in every single User Demo I've had...

Am I messing things up by not displaying the fields until post-creation?  I really don't want to make these show up at creation time since they will require significant thought to fill out correctly.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2020

@daf After doing steps A and B, if you add this field to the Create screen, there will be no None value on the create screen, however there will still be the None value on the edit screen for the task, so this wouldn't fix your problem.

I would suggest using a Single-Select List custom field instead of radio buttons, as this can be put on the edit/view screens and not on the create screen, and there is no value of None showing up. You will still need to at least do step B in setting the default value to be able to successfully create issues.

daf September 22, 2020

Thank you, I will give that a try and provide an update.

daf September 22, 2020

Worked just as desired.  Thank you!   

NOTE:  Interestingly, I played with whether the field was required or not.  As long as I had the default defined, I got the behavior I expected.  I did NOT have to define the field as mandatory.

To be clear -- Using the single-select List, as long as I 

A) Set the default to one of my defined options (Unknown)

B) Did NOT display the field on the create screen, but only on the Edit/View

C) Did NOT define the field as mandatory

THEN I did not see the 'None' entry.

However, if I DID display the field on the Create Screen (but still did not have it mandatory), the 'Unknown' value was defined and displayed, but in the pull-down, the 'None' did show up.

IF I then set the field Mandatory, the only difference is that the 'None' does not show up in the Create Screen pull-down for the field.

Thanks again....

2 votes
Rosa M Fossi November 12, 2020

There's something off about the "None" radio buttons still...   Atlassian responded to a post of mine yesterday and opened a corresponding bug for this. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75541

Access it and give that "Affects my team" on top right panel a click. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events