Release does not remove tickets from kanban board

I am using a kanban board and in the past have been able to successfully click on the "Release" button to clear out the done column on the board. 

Since the UI update, I have not been able to clear the column.  I checked to make sure there was a resolution. When I go to the release hub, there are no errors.  After I click on release, it still shows the tickets. 

Any ideas? 

1 answer

1 vote

By default Kanban boards have a sub-filter, and this has a default value of:

fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

If this is setup for your current board, then when the issues are released, they should then have a fixVersion value and no longer have null values for that field.  The issues are still in the agile reports, but if your subfilter is set this way, you should no longer see these issues on the board itself.

I suspect that perhaps your subfilter for this board has been modified in some way.  That is really the only way I can think as to why you could release issues and still see them on the board.   It might help to take a look at our documentation on Adding a Sub-filter for Kanban boards for more info on this.

Thx for this.  Related to this: is it possible to have a release JUST have 1 fixVersion (the tickets from this round of development)?  Or is it expected that every release has every fixVersion that came before?

When you click the release button on the kanban board, it is expected to change any/all versions that exist in that done column from unreleased to released.  You can see these in the Project administration settings under Project config -> Versions.  This shows you all the releases/versions in this project.   So in short, No, I don't know of a way to only make that release a single version, short of moving the other issues temporarily out of the done column before pressing release.

The idea here is that if you have released a version of your code/product, that these issues that belong to that version would then disappear here, because there is nothing more for you to do with those issues.      

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,253 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you