Reduce choices in custom field drop down based on value in another custom field

Mackenzie Phillips
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2023

Is it possible to reduce the choices in one custom field drop-down based on value in another custom field? For example, I have one field called "area" and one field called "issue".

Area contains: Log in and UX

Issue contains several choices related to login and UX for example MFA, password reset, screen lag, and frozen screen.

When I select Log in in the area drop down I want the choices in issue to only show me MFA and password reset. When I select UX I want the issues list to only show me screen lag and frozen screen.

Is this possible? Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2023

Hi @Mackenzie Phillips and welcome to the Community!

Yes, this is possible. Out of the box - and for company-managed projects, Jira allows you create a cascading select list custom field, which offers the exact functionality you describe:

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 05.04.41.png

If you are using team-managed projects, a similar type of custom fields can be added to your issue types from project settings > issue types. The type of custom field to use there is called a dependent dropdown:

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 05.09.43.png

Hope this helps!

Mackenzie Phillips
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2023

thank you!!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events