Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Redirect while re-index

Today I made a typical Jira admin mistake and sent an instance for a full re-index, without any user warnings.
When users accessed the instance, they received a page about reindexing, did not understand anything and called me.
In this regard, an idea appeared:
My Jira is configured as a reverse proxy via Nginx
What if, at the time of indexing, all requests to the Jira address are sent to another pre-prepared page, for example "Technical work is in progress. Please wait."
Is Jira sludge not accessing itself over HTTP during indexing period? Because if he does, it will be a failure.

Thanks for reading. I hope for an answer.

1 answer

0 votes

When your people visit your Jira while it is re-indexing, what error message do they see?

I get one that tells me Jira is not available because it is re-indexing, it seems perfectly clear to me.  Instead of messing about with a proxy page, could you suggest better text than what your people are seeing?

The simplest thing is simply "Maintenance is being carried out, administrators know everything, this is the norm", because my users do not know what "re-index" is.
Unfortunately, I do not remember the text verbatim, but it mentions "NOTIFY YOUR ADMINISTRATOR", which makes people think "something is not working", and they report it :)
In the option with a redirect, I can control what users see and I can tell them:
- approximate recovery time
- what can they do now while Jira is not working (re-read the instructions on Confluence for example)
- and everything else that will be needed.
Unfortunately, this functionality is not in the box, but in fact it would be very convenient.

Yes, it is clear the messaging built in is not working for you.  I would be nice to be able to define your own (more clear) message, I'd guess Atlassian haven't done it because most of their client base is ok with the current messaging.

However, you are on a Server version of Jira, which means it's running on hardware you own and you (well, your organisation at lease) has full access to all the code that is running.

If the messaging you are seeing is not working for your organisation, I'd happily recommend hacking the text! 

It should be as simple as unpacking the language file, writing your own better words for it, re-zipping it up and sticking it back on the server, then (probably) restarting Jira so it reads the new version.  Strictly speaking, this leaves you out of support, as Atlassian have a clause in the agreement saying "we won't help you with custom code", but if you just keep a copy of the file you've amended, you can always put it back if you do need support.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

183 views 6 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you