Recurring issues in a project

Rocsana Chereches April 28, 2021

Hi everyone,

I want to know if there is a possibility to create a project where I will be able to copy across the issues?

For example, we have an internal requirements from our finance team that I create a project (if possible) where they will be able to keep track of their monthly tasks for End of Month process. These are a set of 29 tasks or so that recur on a monthly basis where only due date needs to be changed from one month to another.

I was suggesting that they organise all those monthly tasks with main task (month name) + subtasks (all the 29 tasks). 

Do you know a way to copy across tasks for one month to another so that they don't need to write them up manually each time?

Thank you

Rocsana

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2021

you can use addons like automation or scriptrunner to create tasks automatically.

so if you create a new main task "april", the addon will create your 29 subtasks.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira-server?hosting=server&tab=overview

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/

Rocsana Chereches May 5, 2021

Thank you Alex!

Like Alexander Pappert likes this
2 votes
Tom Jones [Appsvio]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 29, 2021

Hi Rocsana

There are a bunch of ready-to-use apps with template feature. I'm from Appsvio and we have our own solution called Scheduled Templates. It does exactly what you are looking for. 

You can book a zoom call with our support to help you onboard with the app. 

Cheers, 

Thank you Tom, however, I found a solution in Jira already.

Michael Bohlender June 13, 2021

Hi Rocsana,

would you mind sharing your solution with the others?

Thanks and Regards
Michael

Rocsana Chereches June 14, 2021

Hi Michael,

Yes, of course.

It is a workaround, actually. 

Considering that over the course of a year, there are 4Q and the Finance Team will have to repeat the same exercise every quarter, I suggested that they create a template (an issue ticket) with all the subtasks and child issues they need to keep track of. They can then clone that issue ticket for the next 4 Quarters, each time they need to clone it, they can clone it off the template (the template should not be populated with any info). In this way, you will not need to type the same thing 4 times, just once and then clone it.

This was super helpful to them.

Makes sense? 

Rocsana

Like Nyaradzai likes this
Michael Bohlender June 14, 2021

Hi Rocsana,

yes absolutely. I'm faced with a very similar problem and I've been on the same way for solving it. Just wanted to be sure that I do not miss an alternative solution. I think a template that is cloned when needed is the most elegant solution as you see the "evolution" of the template itself while at the same time keeping the content of the historical clones. Perfect ...

Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Michael

1 vote
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2021

Hi @Rocsana Chereches,

Another possibility would be our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

With our app you can:

If you have questions or feedback about our app, don't hesitate to contact our support.

Thank you Marlene!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events