Recommended Number of Active Workflows

How many workflows are too many that may compromise the performance in the future? Is there a recommended number of workflows?

2 answers

0 votes
Gaston Valente Community Champion Jul 14, 2017

Jessa,

I think it depens, it's not lineal, each workflow has a different weight in the total load it creates depending on:

1. number of issue affected by the workflow
  2. number of conditions, validations and post functions and the complexity of each one
  3. number of services and listeners it has associated

But, for a rule-of-thumb you can use atlassian sizing guide:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html

From my point of view, having a large number of workflows creates problems with the administration first.

A workflow only really imposes load when it is being used, not just because it's in the system.  There are far more important things, like complex and multiple permission schemes, active users, number of issues, complexity of fields on issues and so-on.

I completely agree with Gaston - your admins will be overwhelmed by too many workflows to look after before you'll be able to say "too many are causing a load"

Thank you! Your inputs are very much helpful

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Mar 28, 2018 in Jira Software

Can a company’s culture make or break agile adoption?

Can a new-to-agile team survive and thrive in a non-agile culture? If so, what advice would you give to those trying to be agile in a non-agile culture? What's the key(s) to success? Share your thoug...

17,658 views 18 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you