Recommended Number of Active Workflows

Jessa July 13, 2017

How many workflows are too many that may compromise the performance in the future? Is there a recommended number of workflows?

2 answers

2 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2017

Jessa,

I think it depens, it's not lineal, each workflow has a different weight in the total load it creates depending on:

1. number of issue affected by the workflow
  2. number of conditions, validations and post functions and the complexity of each one
  3. number of services and listeners it has associated

But, for a rule-of-thumb you can use atlassian sizing guide:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html

From my point of view, having a large number of workflows creates problems with the administration first.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2017

A workflow only really imposes load when it is being used, not just because it's in the system.  There are far more important things, like complex and multiple permission schemes, active users, number of issues, complexity of fields on issues and so-on.

I completely agree with Gaston - your admins will be overwhelmed by too many workflows to look after before you'll be able to say "too many are causing a load"

0 votes
Jessa July 21, 2017

Thank you! Your inputs are very much helpful

Suggest an answer