Receiving an error from Kanban > Roadmap 'JQL filter is blocking your roadmap'

Hello,  I just created this project and admittedly a bit rusty on setting up Kanban vs Scrum which I have more practice with.  On my Kanban board I only want to display non-Epics so perhaps in hiding Epics from display caused this.  Honestly I'm not sure but I wasnt able to find specific help for this Roadmap error 'A JQL filter is blocking your roadmap'

6 comments

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2022

Hello @Kendra Clark PMO Manager 

Welcome to the community.

Is that the full message you see?

When I adjust the filter on my board to exclude Epic issues, this is the full message I get:

A JQL filter is blocking your roadmap
There’s a JQL filter applied to your board, and it’s preventing the roadmap from displaying epics.
Your board admin can adjust this filter to unblock the roadmap, without affecting the set up of your board.
This clearly states that the problem is epics are being prevented from displaying on the roadmap.
Roadmaps are based on displaying the timeline for Epics and their children (in Jira Standard subscriptions). Your board filter must include Epics. 
If you don't want the Epics to display on your board, you could add a Quick Filter that you could activate to hide the Epics. Or, you can turn on the Backlog screen and the Epics panel (on the Columns page in Board Settings) and then the Epics will display only on a side panel in the Kanban Backlog screen.
Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Greg Williams June 2, 2022

I'm raising a high priority ticket and referencing this Community page, my users are seeing the same issue as you all, and the JQL is similar to @Thomas Holt :

filter: project = GMSUI AND issuetype in standardIssueTypes() ORDER BY Rank ASC

Glad to see it's not just me!

Like Jackie Bilog likes this
Thomas Holt June 3, 2022

Hey I got the answer from Atlassian support. 

Evidently the standardIssueTypes() does not return Epics. (They suggested this is the definition, but I suspect it's a change)

To fix it you can replace 

issuetype in standardIssueTypes()

with 

issuetype not in subTaskIssueTypes()

or 

(issuetype in standardIssueTypes() or issuetype = epic)

Like Jackie Bilog likes this
Greg Williams June 3, 2022

I got a response from Atlassian and they reportedly fixed it:

From the (awesome) agent:
I did some digging on my end and found some internal discussions about what caused this issue. It looks like there was a change made on the backend with unintended consequences for classic Roadmaps, and this change has since been reverted (which makes sense as to why I can no longer reproduce the issue)

Kythera Contreras August 23, 2022

ETA: NEVERMIND. Found what I was looking for. Board Settings > General > Edit Filter Query

Chiming in to possibly resurrect this issue. 

The users for one of our Jira projects are reporting the "A JQL filter is blocking your roadmap In order to use the roadmap, you need to adjust the JQL filter to show epics. Changing this filter won’t impact the setup of your board." error. 

The thing is, this particular company-managed Kanban project has THREE boards. I'll call them P, DC, and C.

Board C shows the roadmap just fine.

Boards DC and C show the "A JQL filter is blocking your roadmap" error. Yes, I've checked, Roadmap is turned on for those boards. Still get the error.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to modify JQL filters to apply to these boards, let alone in a way to resolve this issue. I can only create/save JQL filters for basic issue searches. Nothing I can find tells me how to apply that to the roadmap for a specific board for a specific project.

Help??

Andrey Polunosik October 17, 2022

I don't see that the change has been revirted, the issue is still reproducible for me.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events