Re-opening a closed case after a new comment

Bryan Selwood May 2, 2023

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an automation for re-opening a closed case after a new comment is added. I have an automation set up and seems to run fine but doesn't reopen the case.

Tried using this rule: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/rule/112182 but had no luck

My current rule and workflow:
rule.jpgworkflow.jpgworkflow2.jpg

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

Hello @Bryan Selwood 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Have you confirmed that the rule is getting triggered? Check the Audit Log for the rule to see if a log is creating to indicate the rule was executed.

If it is getting triggered, please show us the details of that log.

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 9.26.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 9.27.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 9.28.10 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hello Bryan,

The fact that there is an audit log entry means the rule was triggered.

It shows you the issue that triggered the rule - TRI-8768

The "did not match condition" message means that the issue did not match the condition in your rule, so no further actions were taken.

The Condition is "Status equals Done". The rule will be triggered by any Comment activity on an issue in the target project, but will only continue to process for issues where the Status of the issue is Done.

The result implies that the status of TRI-8768 was not Done when it triggered the rule.

Bryan Selwood May 3, 2023

Hi Trudy,

I also tried setting the condition to 'Resolved' but get this error message:2023-05-04_11-38-13.jpgHere's the ticket status
2023-05-04_11-35-41.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

That is a different problem. Notice that the log now reports that the issue passed the condition.

The new message says the destination status can't be resolved. In the automation rule you can transition issues only to another status that is allowed based on the Workflow.

Is that a valid transition in the workflow; from Resolved to Reproduction & Investigation? Are they any restrictions around that transition? Are there Conditions or Validators on that transition? Is the Actor for the rule (specified on the Rule Details page) a user that has permission to change the status of issues in the target project?

I don't know much about how workflows work to be honest and didn't set ours up. I've tried setting the destination to all the different options we have - New, Reproduction & Investigation, Waiting for Backlog but get the same error for each of them. 

However, I did manage to successfully change it to Done from Resolved. Not sure where to go from here with the automation though.
succ.jpgsucc2.jpg
dest.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

A Workflow defines the rules for how an issue status can be changed. It might be set up so that an issue can go from any status to any status. Or it might be set up so that the options to change to are limited. Yours is the latter.

In your original post you included an image of a table with the headers From, Transition, and To. From is all the statuses the is might be in currently. To is which statuses the issue can be changed to based on its current status.

If you look at the From column and find Resolved, then go across to the To column you will see there are only two options - Done and New. Those are the only statuses an issue can be changed to when it currently has a status of Resolved.

If you want to get the issue to the R&I status it must be in one of the From statuses where R&I is an option in the To column. You may need to have multiple Transition Issues steps in your automation rule to make that happen.

Got it. Thanks for your help! - It seems to be working now

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

Glad to help.

If your questions have been answered and your problem solved, please consider marking the Answer as Accepted to help other users find posts with validated solutions.

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

I just ran it again and am getting this:

2023-05-04_10-36-17.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS