Re-generate license key after server switch?

scott8035
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 23, 2018

Hi all. I am re-installing Jira Software on another server after having had it successfully installed once on a different box. I simply did an "uninstall" on that instance. What do I have to do to generate a new license key for the new & different server id?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2018

You actually do not need to have a new server id to re-use that existing license key.   Instead all you need to do it obtain that license key from your https://my.atlassian.com site.   You only need to have that server id at the time a license is first generated.

Your server id of the new installation does not actually have to match the server id that was used to create the license initially, but this is a common point of confusion.   Since the old installation is gone now, you can just apply that same license key to this new installation.

On a side note, if you are migrating the entire Jira database, you won't actually have to apply the license key (unless you are also upgrading Jira and the previous license key has since expired).  Since the license key is stored in the Jira database that information is carried across when you migrate a database.   However if this is a new, fresh installation that won't be using the previous database, then yes, you would need to apply the license key during the installation process.

Suggest an answer