Re-Migration of projects

Tobias Harneit June 16, 2021

We want to migrate to the cloud. First we did a full export of our Jira (and service desk) and then imported it to our cloud site. After some modifications, everything worked as expected. 

In the meantime, the data of some projects (on the server side) changed. Now I tried to re-import a project with changed data, but it results in an error: 

2021-06-17 05:23:08.214 ERROR TON project-import We couldn't import Project TON. Reason: IllegalArgumentException: Workflow scheme [10002] does not exist. This caused 3985 other items to fail.

Do we have a way to "re-migrate" a single project or do we need to do a complete re-import?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2021

Hi @Tobias Harneit 

May I ask how you are migrating this single project and also if you have started using the Cloud instance and data there have changed?

If the cloud instance is not yet in use by other teams, taking a whole backup and restoring maybe the fastest way to go here.

If However, the data on Cloud has changed then you can consider using the external system import via CSV (this is a very tedious process where you need to format the data you plan to import). See: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

An alternative to the above is the use of an add-on like https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223932/getint-jira-asana-integration-sync?hosting=cloud&tab=overview for migrating data for the single project.

There May be other add-ins with this capability so do check the marketplace.

Regards.

Tobias Harneit June 22, 2021

Hello @Ismael Jimoh ,

thank you very much for the quick reply.

I had first taken the "Jira Cloud site import" and then (for the updated projects) the "Jira Cloud Migration Assistant".

I have tried the CSV import, but I am not sure if I will be really happy with it...

In fact, we will then probably do the complete import of all projects again.

Regardless of this, we can only hope that Atlassian will classify the import error as a bug and perhaps do something about it.

Thanks and kind regards
Tobias Harneit

0 votes
J van Leeuwen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2021

Hi @Tobias Harneit

I think what's happened here is that Workflow scheme [10002had been previously migrated using Jira Cloud Migration Assistant, but then after that first migration run, it's likely that it was then deleted in Jira Cloud. Do you recall deleting it? Can you find it in the UI or is it now no longer there?

The Jira Cloud Migration Assistant has a mapping service that keeps memory of what has been migrated, and is programmed to re-link to objects that have already been migrated in a previous run. This is so that we keep the configuration relationships the same and avoid migrating duplicates and causing a mess in Jira Cloud.

The details of how this mapping works are in the diagram on this page - https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/how-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-links-your-data-993925217.html 

A current limitation is that when something that has been migrated has been deleted, this mapping memory is not deleted accordingly. This is why when you run a migration involving that deleted item (in your case Workflow Scheme [10002]) the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant then returns an error as it is expecting to link back to a previously migrated object that was deleted.

Do that seem to be the case?

There is a bug report to track this, and our developers are working hard to correct, however I'd encourage you to comment and vote on this ticket - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/MIG-163

You should be able to re-migrate the project but you'll need to delete it completely before doing so. 

Hope this helps clarify what went wrong! If you need additional assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to our support team at support.atlassian.com. 

- Jennifer 

Tobias Harneit July 9, 2021

Hello Jennifer, 

thanks for your reply.

I repeated the import again in the same way. 

So I did a full export first and then tried to import one project at a time again. 

The error continues to occur - without me changing anything in any workflow schemas (on cloud and on server). 

I think what's happened here is that Workflow scheme [10002] had been previously migrated using Jira Cloud Migration Assistant, but then after that first migration run, it's likely that it was then deleted in Jira Cloud. Do you recall deleting it? Can you find it in the UI or is it now no longer there?

Theres no workflow scheme 10002 in cloud and no workflow schmee 10002 on server. I did not change anything on the workflows while migrating to cloud. 

The Jira Cloud Migration Assistant has a mapping service that keeps memory of what has been migrated, and is programmed to relink to objects that have already been migrated in a previous run. This is so that we keep the configuration relationships the same and avoid migrating duplicates and causing a mess in Jira Cloud.

Is there a way to delete all my previous migrations to cloud so that I have a "clean" cloud instance?

There is a bug report to track this, and our developers are working hard to correct, however I'd encourage you to comment and vote on this ticket - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/MIG-163

Voting done ;-)

Suggest an answer