Random assignment for custom people field

Julez March 7, 2022

For our workflow we want to random assign an issue's "QC Person", which is a custom People field at random. 

I don't know if this is possible using JSON in the advanced field. 

The workflow is:

Dev A works on issue "in Progress"

then moves it to "Needs QC"  when they are ready.

at that point Jira Automation should change the QC Person field the issue to: someone from a fixed list of persons, but NOT the person who the issue is assigned to. They remain assigned. 

Thanks for any potential solutions or workarounds. Even just using the reporter field as QC person and parking the reporter name in a custom text field would be a solution at this point.

1 answer

0 votes
Kiel Frost
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2022

Hi Julez,

Thanks for posting this question. Are you able to provide any details of what you have tried so far?

Have you seen the user-defined list and round-robin functionality as documented here?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation070/smart-assign-jira-issues-load-balancing-round-robin-and-more-1014664568.html

Look forward to your response.

Jamel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 18, 2022

Hi Kiel,

Sorry if this is considered a necro. But are we able to use the random functionality for a custom user field as you're suggesting. I've even tried save the assignee to a smart variable, randomly assign a new assignee, set the custom user field with the current assignee and then finally set the assignee to the smart variable.

However this does not work, logs also show the same userID and it feels like a very workaround way to do it to begin with.

Hopefully you are able to help me with this issue.

elizabeth_hotson March 17, 2023

I think the key difference between what op is asking for and that suggestion is that it's for only Assigning an issue, as opposed to setting a custom people field on an issue

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 12.08.18 PM.png

Suggest an answer