REST API - Create issue with no watcher

David_Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2020

When using the REST API to create issues, I am always set as a watcher, just by virtue of being the one who created the issue. When mass creating issues for other people, I end up being a watcher for a huge number of issues I have no interest in.

I know how to use the REST API to remove myself or anyone else from being a watcher from an issue that has already has been created, but that's double handling.

Is there a way to create an issue with no watcher at the outset?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
David_Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2020

I've found the answer; well the cause of the problem anyhow.

The reason why I was being added as a watcher to all the issues I created was that in my profile / preferences, Autowatch was inheriting its setting globally, which was turned on.

Autowatch.PNG

When I disabled it, all the issues I created didn't have me as a watcher :)

Larry Matter October 21, 2020

Wow, thanks for answering your own question after you figured it out.  So many folks don't bother. 

I have a "service" user that creates tickets via REST and wanted to prevent it from being a watcher.    This totally worked.

Jonny Polivka August 18, 2022

Yes WOW!  Thanks for this nugget of intel.  Super mind blowing and kind of a D'oh moment too.

I still run our custom copy operation with a 'service' account like Larry otherwise people see my name under 'reporter' and assume I have ownership of the issue and then contact me. 

Suggest an answer