Query for open Stories and Tasks within open Epics

bangaru ganesh December 30, 2020

I want to be able to query for open Stories and Tasks within open Epics. What JQL can I use for this query? When I pull in "Status", it seems to be the status of the Story or Task, not not for the Epic. I need to be able to distinguish between the two status'.

3 answers

1 vote
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2020

Hello,

You can try the following JQL :

issuetype IN (Story, Task) AND "Epic Status" != Done

Let me know if it helped,

Guilhem

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 30, 2020

Hi @bangaru ganesh 

As an alternative you may want to try out our add-on to manage multiple Epics and their hierarchy on a single page.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.

Key features:

• Epic Sum
  • Configure progress % calculation on either "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Epic Tree directly on Issue Screen
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL support for Epic Hierarchy screen
  • Time in Status report using JQL
  • Issue Tracker to view complete transitions on your issue screen
    • Status Transition : View all the status changes in a single tab along with average time and count in each status. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.
    • Assignee Transition : View all the assignees for the issue along with the time for which the issue was with each assignee. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud_Edit.png

Epic Hierarchy_Issue Screen_Cloud.PNG

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Hi @bangaru ganesh  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I do not believe you can do that with out of the box Jira, as JQL is not a full SQL language.  You would need a scripting add-on from the marketplace.

As a work-around, you could export the project issues to a spreadsheet, or use the Excel or Google Sheets addons for Jira, and perform the join manually between the open issues and their open epics.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer