Query for items in Backlog not in sprint - list where EPIC is missing

Billie Jez December 16, 2021

Hi All,

I'm trying to build a query where I can search all the hundreds of items that are missing and EPIC value ? I have the following checking in open sprint or future sprint, is there a way to search the entire backlog list ?

project = CS1 AND issuetype in (Bug, Epic, Feature, Issue, Risk, Story, Task, Test) AND sprint in (opensprints(), futureSprints()) AND "Epic Link" = EMPTY AND issuetype in (Bug, Epic, Feature, Issue, Risk, Story, Task, Test) AND status not in (done, cancelled)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

Hello @Billie Jez 

Welcome to the community.

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

You have criteria to check the Sprints, the Issue Type, the Epic Link, and the Status.

Looking first at the Issue Type criteria, are you wanting to find all issues that are not linked to an Epic? This would exclude Epics themselves and Sub-tasks, because neither of those can be a child of an Epic.

Assuming that you are working with a Company Managed project the simple query would be

project=CS1 and issuetype != Epic and issuetype not in (subTaskIssueTypes()) and "Epic Link" is empty

The above query won't work if you are working with a Team Managed project.

What does it matter if the issue was ever in a sprint or is in a sprint currently, or what the status of the issue is? 

What problem are you trying to solve by getting this list? 

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks so much for taking the time to share the query. This has worked and returned a much greater list then what I expected... lol... just more work for the team to tidy up.

Have a wonderful festive season !!

All the best in 2022 !!

Regards

Billie

0 votes
Dillon December 16, 2021

I am not sure why you have the IssueType repeated, but apart from that, it sounds like you are looking to query issues that do not have a sprint value attributed. A backlog is simply just a status grouping, so you could perhaps query on the status that you have attributed to your backlog column.

project = CS1 AND issuetype in (Bug, Epic, Feature, Issue, Risk, Story, Task, Test) AND sprint is EMPTY AND "Epic Link" = EMPTY AND status not in (done, cancelled)

Hi @Dillon 

Appreciate you taking the time to share the query. We can use this also, where I can remove the EPIC type as they typically for our projects dont map back to anything.

Have a wonderful festive season !!

All the best in 2022 !!

Regards

Billie

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events