Query for a list of stories that have been pointed in the last sprint

Mateo E May 5, 2023

I'm trying to write a query to tell me which stories were assigned points in the last sprint (2 weeks). A query for understanding if the points were changed within this time period would also be acceptable. This would be helpful because it would allow me to understand what scope is adding points to my overall backlog. 

I often run into problems like "Your team has completed 50 points last sprint but the overall backlog grew by a net of 25 points. The delivery date is now late". I need to understand why this growth is happening. (Yes, it's happening because Product Owners are adding stories or pointing existing stories during refinement) but categorizing this added scope is my end goal. 

1 answer

0 votes
Christian Beck May 17, 2023

Hi Mateao, you are right, this is not straightforward to solve with a simple jql query, since history searches (using the WAS operator) do not support the 'Story Points' field. 

I think the best solution would be to introduce a workflow transition that is connected to filling out the story points field. For example we use open > ready > in progress for stories. Adding story points and transitioning to ready should be done in one go - since it happens in the refinement meeting. (If story points are assigned to stories outside a refinement meeting, or stories are set to ready without adding story points, I would consider this as a dysfunction.)

No if you have a transition connected to filling out the story points field, then the jql would be something like: "Type = story AND status changed to ready after -2w"

Suggest an answer