Proper Process to Bulk Move Sub-Tasks and Parent Issues to New Project

Wansze Kong December 7, 2021

We have a user that has requested for a set of issues from a source project to be moved to a new destination project.  Both projects share the same project configuration.  When we attempted to run a bulk update of the issues, we were informed by the application of the following:

You are not allowed to bulk move sub-task issues together with their parent issue. In this case, you will only be asked to move the sub-task if you move the parent issue to a new project.

When we chose the destination project, the application is obviously unable to locate the parent ticket for these sub-tasks as it has not been successfully created. 

In this particular scenario, what would the proper steps/process be to allow for the parent issues and their corresponding sub-tasks to be moved properly?  Please advise.

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2021

I believe if you create a search for only the parent issues, and then go through the Bulk Change > Move process then the sub-tasks will be moved along with their parent issues. Jira does not support having a sub-task in a different project than its parent issue.

You need to make sure that the sub-tasks really are Sub-task type issues, and not some other generic issue type that has simply been named "sub-task"

I would recommend that you try moving just one or two parent issues known to have sub-tasks and confirm that the sub-tasks are also automatically moved.

Wansze Kong December 9, 2021

Hello Trudy,

I will definitely give this a try.  I appreciate the input.

Thank you,

Wansze Kong-Chan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events