Projects under Company or Container.

Andries Becker May 5, 2021

Good Day 

So I have multiple projects for different stakeholders on my Jira. I have now been requested to see if I can restructure this for reporting. 

Here is an example 

Currently I have 

Project x

Project y 

Project z 

Is there a way to create a master project or container or something to structure it like this ?

Company X 

•    Project x
  •    Project y 
  •    Project z 

So this is should allow me to run a advanced road map that will show the above structure. 

Is there a way to move the existing projects ?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2021

Hi @Andries Becker,

I guess the key question here is exactly what information you're hoping to report on?

One of the ways that we've used Advanced Roadmaps at Atlassian is to create additional hierarchy levels above Epic (typically called Initiative - but they can be called whatever you want, and you can add as many levels as you want) and then create new issue types associated with those levels (so you'd create an Initiative issue type that you map to the Initiative level).

We then create a new overarching project and only allow that Initiative issue type to be used in that new project. You can then create high level objectives or themes of work that cross-cut those "sub-projects" where the actual work is done using the new issue type. 

A good example of this was when we were implementing GDPR compliance across product on server and each product (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket, etc) has one or more projects. The GDPR compliance initiative was created in the overarching project and all the specific product work was linked to it so that it "laddered up". This allowed us to get a good cross-cutting overview of how the GDPR work was going across all the products.

This may or may not be the sort of thing that you're looking for, but is a way in which Advanced Roadmaps can create visualisations across multiple projects. 

Regards,

Dave

Andries Becker May 6, 2021

So. 

One company in my group has a system we are working that has three functions at it's core. I created 3 projects ( epics and stories) and a fourth for the framework work the Dev's need to work on. 

Senior management wants to see what people are working on and when they will be done. The road map (advanced) i created has each of the projects underneath each other but the complaint is that management wants a view on the time spent on the system as a whole form a (Logged time and projected end date perspective )

They want to see how much time is being spent and when they will be done with the Epics 

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2021

Thanks for the clarification ... unfortunately it's not currently possible to show the time logged in this way (within Advanced Roadmaps), however the approach I described should at least allow a projected estimate to be shown as well as giving an overview of progress.

Regards,

Dave

Andries Becker May 11, 2021

Follow up please. 

I created a initiative category

How do I make it display as the Parent in the adv roadmap 

Untitled.png 

0 votes
David Wuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

If I understand the problem correctly, I think there may be another solution using Advanced Roadmaps that does not require project categories or any other changes in Jira. Everything would be configured in Advanced Roadmaps.

First, for the source of your plan you will need a filter (a saved search). The filter can be "Project in (projectx, projecty, projectz)". 

Next, in the plan configuration, Issue Sources, select the option to use a Filter as the source and select the filter from above.

Last, back in the plan, click on View Settings and in the Group By option select Project. This will provide the grouping by project with the issues underneath. 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2021

Hi @David Wuth ,

Thanks for chiming in :) I do wonder, will this then also provide a grouping within the Projects? 

Meaning some projects grouped under a specific header and other projects under a different header? Cause that would be the reason I suggested a Project Property (like the category)

Or does Advanced Roadmaps allow you to group based on the project category field?

David Wuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

The only fields I see available for grouping in Advanced Roadmaps in View Settings is Assignee, Component, Label, Project, Release, Sprint and Team. So, I do not know how the Project Category field could be used for grouping. Also, there is not an option I know of to group within a group (although that would be a very nice feature!).

There is a filter feature within Advanced Roadmaps to only show issues that match the filter, but I could not find a way to use the Project Category as a filter, or even to show it as one of the fields in Advanced Roadmaps. 

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2021

Hi @Andries Becker ,

Grouping of projects isn't something that is available in Jira. Or atleast not in some kind of container type thing.

One thing that comes to mind for me could the Project Categories.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/add-assign-and-delete-project-categories/

From what I know that is one of the few (if not only) option to provide some context to a project itself.

Whether you can then later use this on Advanced Roadmaps I fear I'm not knowledgable on that (but I doubt it)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2021

You can use it in filters - "category = client" in our Jira for example will return all the issues in projects we've classified as "client projects", without having to name each project.

But no, I don't think it's usable in Advanced Roadmaps in any way other than the filter clause I've just mentioned.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Andries Becker May 5, 2021

Hi Nic 

So just to clarify. 

I created a Project category as Dirk suggested. 

Where is the filer you are talking about ? 

In adv road maps or ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2021

A filter is a "saved search".  I wasn't pointing at any filter in particular, just saying that you can use the "category" field in them if it might be useful (and Advanced Roadmaps does use some filters)

Suggest an answer