Project Automation to copy values from "Log Work" field to my Custom Field

Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2021

Hi.

I want create Project Automation to copy values from "Log Work" field to my Custom Field.

Log Work - This is a field I can see when I pull a report from issue navigator with option to download all fields. I think this is system generated field which gets created as and when some one logs work with description and time.

No I want to copy the value from "Log work" field and append it in one of my Custom field.

I can see Log Work field as a trigger field to monitor changes. But in next step im not finding option to copy value of Log Work (not listing down in the option Field to copy value from).

Did anyone tried this? Is there a way I can automate this?

Thanks

Sadeesh N

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2021

Hello @Sadeesh Narendran 

I can't provide you with a complete answer, but I can provide you with more information to help you work towards a solution.

Log Work is an event, not a field.

When you Log Work you get a dialog that shows multiple fields including the amount of time to be logged, a comment field, a date on which the work is to be noted as having been done, and options for setting the Remaining Estimate for the issue.

To access the data in a work log entry you will need to use Smart Values. Refer to this document and look for the details on "worklog"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/smart-values-993924860.html

1 vote
Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2021

For Others... I am able to achieve this using smart values.

{{worklog.started.format("dd MMM")}} - {{worklog.comment}} -- Using date format to trim time details

{{issue.fields.customfield_10712}} -- Existing value in my Custom Field

Thanks!

0 votes
Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2021

@Trudy Claspill  Thanks! I am halfway now!  I am able to get the values in my custom fields using smart values.

{{worklog.comment}}
{{worklog.started}}

When the event  Work Logged (created/updated) is triggered.

Now im looking for option on how I can append this instead of overwriting the custom field when the above repeats with new event and value

Sadeesh N

Suggest an answer