Project Archiving within Jira Cloud Standard

Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2022

Good Afternoon,

I'm doing a bit of investigation into how people are archiving projects within Jira Cloud Standard subscription. I'm looking for any and all ideas on how you guys work around archiving projects with either permission schemes, plugins, or even just taking that plunge and going premium. 

Thank you!

3 answers

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2022

Hi @Heather Ronnebeck ,

I was on the standard cloud in my previous company for years and obviously archiving projects became important over time. My solution, as you eluded to in your post, was to create a permission scheme called Archived and I also created a category which labeled those projects as archived. The Advantage of this was that it was fairly easy to do and I could apply that scheme to any number of projects quickly. The advantage of the archive category was that I could use this as a filter in the project page. The limitation of the scheme obviously is that the project isn't totally hidden from drop downs and such. It just prevented users from accessing. Archiving in premium is one of the key features I would love to see in standard. I don't think archiving should be a premium feature. But that's just my selfish self chiming in here. ;-)

Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2022

I agree with you. That was my approach on Server in the past, and has been so far in Cloud too. I think it should be standard in the Standard plan, but alas that's not the case currently. 

Like Dave Liao likes this
2 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2022

@Heather Ronnebeck I used @Jack Brickey's solution at a previous company as well.

However, my current company is on Cloud Premium, and my question would be, how likely is your company going to want to take advantage of some of the other premium features (like Advanced Roadmaps, a sandbox instance, etc.)?

If so, it might be worth investigating!

Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2022

I'll keep digging into that avenue as well. Thank you

0 votes
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2023

I think @Jack Brickey have similar solutions. I did two things for the projects that eventually will be archived. This way my users can't see them and I have a visual that I'm not using them.

1) I went into my unwanted projects and changed the project settings so only administrators see them.

2) I created a separate Project Group called created a separate Project Category called 'Archive' so I could filter them out easily. 

Suggest an answer