Project Admin unable to close sprint

Hazel Elgart November 13, 2014

Hi folks, I have a scrum master who is getting this error when she tries to close her sprint:

"To update this sprint you must have Project Administrator permissions for all of the following projects: Project X"

She has all the right permissions so I don't see what the problem is. As a JIRA admin, I was able to close the sprint for her. We don't know if she'll have the same problem again on the next sprint.

This issue is similar to others posted, except that other errors require access to more than one project, not just the one we're working in. 

Thanks!

Update 11/14/2014: Just found out that when I closed Project X's sprint, I also closed Project Z's sprint. There was no indication in the error or the queries I ran that Project Z was at all implicated in Project X's sprint.

4 answers

4 votes
sharanya rai January 4, 2018

Click the Active Sprints tab and Select the sprint from "Switch Sprint" option(below the Create button) which you want to mark as complete and it should solve your issue.

0 votes
Nivruti Vora October 7, 2019

Actually, I checked the board settings and at the end of the General setting page, it shows Projects on board.

Added the user to projects he was not a member/ admin of and that fixed the issue.

0 votes
David Skreiner February 27, 2015

""You must have the JIRA 'Project Administrator' permission for all project(s) with issues included in the sprint to complete it."

Does this also affect linked issues from another project?

A PM I'm working with has just spent several hours removing issue links and labels from all the issues in his sprint in order to try and get past this error message. All the issues in the sprint are from the same project, but for some weird reason, JIRA Agile says he'd need Project Admin for another project.

Issues from the other project are in a "must be completed before" relationship to issues in his current sprint.

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2014

Hazel,

As per our Ending a Sprint documentation: "You must have the JIRA 'Project Administrator' permission for all project(s) with issues included in the sprint to complete it. If you cannot complete a sprint, check whether your sprint has issues from a project where you are not a project administrator.

I'd say to review the issues on the sprint in order to double check if there are no other issues from a different project in that sprint.

Hope it helps to clarify!

Cheers

L.F

Hazel Elgart November 13, 2014

Hi LF,

I saw that advice earlier and tried that. I ran a query on the sprint ID I'd just closed AND project not in /[current project/]. The search had no results. There were only 84 issues in that sprint and I could see by looking at their issue numbers that they were all in the correct project. The error was not asking for admin rights to multiple projects, but only for the project that we are working in. Very strange.

Thanks,

Hazel

Suggest an answer