Project Admin can see other projects when creating Boards, but not his

John O_Reilly May 17, 2022

I am the org admin. I granted a user Project Admin to 2 Jira Software projects. When this user tries to create a board in one of his projects, several other projects show in the dropdown, but his 2 projects do not. What am i missing? I confirmed he has Admin permissions and both of his projects are Open.

He'd also like to use 1 board across 2 projects, where updates are reflected in both.

Suggestions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Hi John,

When you say he is trying to create a board in one of his projects - what does that mean? How is he actually trying to do that, since you don't "create a board in a project".

If you mean he is trying to populate the Location field in the Board Settings General tab, and the project is not showing up, then is it probably a Jira Work Management project or a Team-managed project or a JSM project. Those types of projects will not show in the Location field. He would need to attach the location to his personal profile. 

John O_Reilly May 18, 2022

In Jira Software the user goes: Your Work > Boards >View All Boards > Create Board > Create a Scrum Board > Board from an Existing Project > Next

From there he can name the new board, but the Project drop down does not show his 2 projects

John O_Reilly May 18, 2022

The only Projects that show in the dropdown are Company-managed Projects and Service Management (JSM) projects. We prefer Team-managed projects so Dev teams can customize their projects without affecting other projects.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

Okay, figured that was probably the case. As noted in my first response, you will not be able to create a board and associate it with a Team-managed project nor a Jira Work Management project. Those types of projects have built-in boards and you are expected to only use that one board created when the project is created. 

John O_Reilly May 19, 2022

Got it, so if they were Company-managed projects this would work, but Team-managed projects are intentionally isolated from each other.

Thanks for the thorough answers, John

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2022

Yep, that's the gist of it. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events