Problems merging JIRA cloud instances

Kevin Stevens January 21, 2019

I'm having an issue importing my exported Cloud 'Server backup' into my local JIRA server instance, and am getting an error message 'you have not entered a license'.

What license am I supposed to enter? The restore form states 'only enter a license if you want to override all the licenses in the import file'. Is the issue that I am using a trial version of the JIRA server locally (as my end-point is to merge the two cloud instances, I don't actually want/need a license for the local server).

Why is this so difficult, surely I am not the only person tasked with merging two JIRA cloud instances?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Hello,

If you want to use this Jira server permanently, the you need to buy server licenses for all Jira applications and plugins you have. If you want to use this Jira Server temporary, then temporary licenses for all Jira applications and plugin will do.

Kevin Stevens January 21, 2019

Thanks Alexey - I just want to use the local server temporarily to merge the server backups (which is the documented way of merging instances - take 'server backups' from the cloud instances, restore them to a local server, take a backup of the local server and upload that to the cloud instance. I don't want to override the cloud licenses, so I'm struggling with the error message telling me that I have to enter a license. Any advice?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

You need to generate a temporary license and enter it into your Jira Server instance. Go to my.atlassian.com and generate a new trial license.

Like Sri Kumar likes this
0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2019

Hi Kevin, did you manage to complete the merge?

Merging JIRA server is no ordinary task, we at Botron specialize at data portability and can help with a lot of documentation and practical advices.

Contact me at services@botronsoft.com if you are interested.

Cheers,

Peter T

Suggest an answer