Problems installing jira - Server Refusing connections

Ben Bramson January 16, 2018

Hey Everyone!

I've been a Jira developer/admin for a few years now and have almost exclusively played with the UI, never the background server. So I figured I would use a spare home computer as a Jira server to play with.

I installed CentOS and PostgreSQL without issue. Since I'm not very familiar with server administration I ran the Jira default express install. When it finished it said that I could now connect via my web browser. Every time I try it tells me the server is refusing connections. I have confirmed that Jira is running and I can connect to the server with my terminal, but not via a browser. I'm seeing two errors that seem to pop up every time I start jira:

2018-01-15 22:50:58,120 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR      [webwork.config.DefaultConfiguration] Skipping configuration for class 'com.atlassian.jira.config.webwork.JiraPluginsConfi

guration'

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to resolve component: interface com.atlassian.plugin.event.PluginEventManager

at com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessorWorker.getComponentOfType(ComponentAccessorWorker.java:40)

at com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.getComponentOfType(ComponentAccessor.java:255)

at com.atlassian.jira.config.webwork.JiraPluginsConfiguration.getPluginEventManager(JiraPluginsConfiguration.java:85)

at com.atlassian.jira.config.webwork.JiraPluginsConfiguration$PluginSystemAccessor.<init>(JiraPluginsConfiguration.java:121)

at com.atlassian.jira.config.webwork.JiraPluginsConfiguration.<init>(JiraPluginsConfiguration.java:27)

... 3 filtered

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:442)

at webwork.config.DefaultConfiguration.<init>(DefaultConfiguration.java:116)

at webwork.config.Configuration.getDefaultConfiguration(Configuration.java:135)

at webwork.config.Configuration.getConfiguration(Configuration.java:112)

at com.atlassian.jira.config.webwork.WebworkConfigurator.configureWebwork(WebworkConfigurator.java:66)

at com.atlassian.jira.config.webwork.WebworkConfigurator.setupConfiguration(WebworkConfigurator.java:59)

at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.initFastStuff(LauncherContextListener.java:137)

at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.contextInitialized(LauncherContextListener.java:101)

... 5 filtered

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException

at java.util.Optional.orElseThrow(Optional.java:290)

at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.getRequiredPicoContainer(ComponentManager.java:429)

at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.getComponentInstanceOfType(ComponentManager.java:486)

at com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessorWorker.getComponentOfType(ComponentAccessorWorker.java:38)

... 25 more

and the other:

2018-01-15 23:20:56,263 localhost-startStop-2 ERROR      [o.a.c.c.C.[Catalina].[localhost].[/]] Exception sending context destroyed event to listener instance of class com.atlassi

an.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.jira.startup.ClusteringLauncher.stop(ClusteringLauncher.java:46)

at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.stop(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:197)

at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.contextDestroyed(LauncherContextListener.java:214)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStop(StandardContext.java:4774)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stopInternal(StandardContext.java:5411)

... 3 filtered

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Neither of those means anything to me (other than ERROR is bad), so any help you could provide would be awesome. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2018

Hi Ben,

Check that the ports are open and allowing connections from external traffic.  

Benjamin Bramson January 18, 2018

Thanks! I found an article on here that explained exactly what to do after you pointed me in the right direction.

Ubi Jira January 30, 2018

Hi, Ben Could you please sent us the article link. 

Thanks!

Yevgen Lasman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2018

Suggest an answer