Problem setting Issue Resolution to 'Fixed' or 'Resolved' to get issue off of 'Open Issues' list

France T March 18, 2020

Hi,

I'm using Atlassian Jira Project Management Software (v8.3.4#803005), Project Type = Software, using a JIRA server (please no Cloud answers, thank you).  We set up a simple workflow for software development that mimics the SDLC and are using it with the JIRA Kanban board.  The workflow was set up using "Software Simplified Workflow Scheme" and "Kanban Issue Type Scheme" which is what we have access to. 

General Steps to create tasks for our Kanban Board:

1. Create an issue using the 'Create' button (to create new issues) in the blue bar at the top of the screen - issues start in 'Backlog'.
  2. Move issue through the different stages (or columns on Kanban board) starting with 'Dev - In Progress' until it gets to 'Done'.

Once we get to 'Done', our issue stays 'open' because we can't figure out how to set 'Resolution' to either 'Resolved' or 'Fixed' and/or somehow get it off our "Open Issues" list.

After wracking my brain and reading lots (and lots!) of posts and Atlassian Help Pages, I'm beginning to wonder if our workflow is incorrect.  I've seen workflows with 'Open' and 'Closed' and workflows without.  At this point, we just want to get fixed/done issues off of the Open Issues list.  It's confusing for folks watching our project to see issues that were taken care of, sometimes months ago, still appearing in our 'Open Issues' list.  We don't have access to JIRA Admin or backend things like Add Post functions or anything like that.

2 questions:

1. Is our workflow correct?
  2. Can you suggest what we can do to get closed/done/resolved issues off the 'Open Issues' list?

I've attached screenshots of our Issue Details, a test I did with adding a status 'Resolved' (which loops back to 'Done') and our workflow.

Many thanks for your assistance,

Fran

jira forum - issue details.pngjira forum - test with resolved.pngjira forum - workflow.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2020

My guess is youi are using "Extended project administration" permissons which is why he could make limited edits to the workflow but not add post functions.

Yes, your workflow is currently broken. Generally you have to set resulotion when transition an issue to "done" This is usually done in 1 of 2 ways

1: A transition screen in the last transition that allows the user to set the field

2: A post function that sets the resolution to a static valule.

MY guess is you copied the workflow and them removed the transition screen, thinking you were making this easier, but not.

As to how to fix it. This gets a little tricky. Not much you can do without a full jira admins help.

1. Adding resolution to the edit screen. This is generally a bad idea unless you take other steps. Resolution is a required field in the field connfiguration. Meaning if it appears on the screen it has to be filled in. If you put it on the edit screen, and someone edits a ticket that isnt closed, then they will have to set a resolution, which you dont want. So to be safe you need to first make the field optional, then add it to the edit screen. However You would need full jira admin rights.
     If you know no one will be working, you can try to add it to the edit screen, change all the tickets, and then remove it from the screen, Have to be careful that no one else is using jira
    So in general, I would not recommend this option.
  2. You need to fix the workflow anyway. So talk to your jira admin. Ask them the add a post function to set the resolution on any of the transitions that lead to done. While they are at it, ask them to add a transition that goes from done to done called "fix resolution" with a post function that sets the resolution, (and a validator that the resolution is empty if you want) You can then run that transition on any broken issue to fix it.

In short, talk to your jira admins, you will need thier help to fix it.

France T March 19, 2020

Thank you very much for your reply! 

I was hoping to get this accomplished without JIRA Admin help but it sounds like a solution has to involve them.  Also, thank you for including what I need to email to the JIRA Admins because I couldn't explain it to them what's needed.  Many thanks again!

France T March 20, 2020

And, yes, I have "Extended project administration".  Thank you again Andrew!

0 votes
sukkeong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2020

I am not sure why access to add Post condition is not available when you have permission to edit the transition.

You can try adding the field 'Resolution' to your screen when transitioning to the status 'Resolved' as a workaround

France T March 18, 2020

Thanks for your reply.

How do I add a field to the workflow?  My only options are to Add Status and Add Transition.  There is no "Add Field".  See screenshot below.  Thanks!

jira forum - workflow add status add transition.png

sukkeong
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020
  1. Go to Administration > Issues > Screen
  2. Select the screen used in your transition, or create one if you don't have one.
  3. Select 'Configure'
  4. Add the field 'Resolution'
    • You can drag-drop the field order.

For more information, here is the link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/defining-a-screen-938847288.html

Like Sona Evanesyan likes this
France T March 19, 2020

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have JIRA administrator privileges but thank you for the link.  When I submit a ticket to our JIRA admins, I'll include the link to Defining a Screen.

Sona Evanesyan July 21, 2021

Hi , 

I tried t add the filed, 

However it appeared right in the creation step , and does not allow to create task without mentioning choosing an option from resolution dropdown

sukkeong
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2021

@Sona Evanesyan you can set different screens for 'create', 'edit' and 'view' activities. When issue is created, it is better to avoid adding the field 'resolution' as part of screen used. The field 'resolution' is a mandatory by default. Therefore, if it is part of the screen used for issue creation, selecting any value will mark the issue as resolved.

Sona Evanesyan July 22, 2021

I need to have that field only when transitioning task from in testing to Done , and have that resolution kept the same in the next testing for release and release columns. Can you advise how to do it ?

Thanks

Suggest an answer