Problem on automation rule

Cristina Sandulescu February 12, 2021

Hello,

I am encountering a problem on a rule automation. I have 3 custom drop-down fields, only one is displayed on the screen (Client) and does not have any values defined. I set up a rule that on a certain event, if a condition is met, the third field (Client) the one that has no values defined) to be populated with the values from one of the other drop-down list field (in this case Changepond Clients). 

The rule is successfully executed but the field is not populated with the values from the second field. Can you please advise?rule.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

@Cristina Sandulescu

There isn't any condition on here to ensure that the field you want to use as the source is actually populated. Can you ensure that it has value?

Thanks,

Kian

Hi Kian,

Appreciate your fast response. The source field has 2 values defined, I've added it on the screen and the values are displayed. But I don't want to choose a value in the source field manually and the chosen value to be pushed in the target field. I want the target field to be populated with all the values from the source field.

Also, just for testing purposes, I selected a value in the source field and the selected value is not pushed either in the target field.

Thanks!

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

@Cristina Sandulescu, if I am understanding you correctly, the source field has two  options defined, and you'd like for both options to be copied into the target field? Is the target field a multi-select list?

Thanks,

Kian

Correct, the source field has two options and I want both options to be displayed in the target field. Is a list with a single select option because a want the user be able to choose a single value.

Thanks!

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2021

Ahhhh, so you're trying to change the options in the target field depending on the source field? You want different options depending on the organization of the user raising the request?

No. I will try to explain a little bit. So, I have two source fields that are not displayed on the screen (drop-down lists with values)  and a target field (dropdown list without values) that is displayed on the screen. Depending on the field on the ticket, I created an automated rule in order to display one of the source field's values into the target field. 

So, I have 2 source fields:

- organization x with values a and b;

- organization y with values c and d

If my automated rule is executing for organization x I want the corresponding values (a and b) to be displayed in my target field. Is it possible?

Thanks!

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2021

@Cristina Sandulescu

No,  you cannot do what you are asking for. My suggestion would be to make use of a  Cascading Select list. 

A Cascading Select list will allow you to set the parent option to Organization x - with child values A & B and a second value with Organization Y and child values C & D. For example:

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.22.51 PM.png

Cristina Sandulescu February 16, 2021

Hi Kian,

Can you please explain how this copy from a field to another works?

Thanks!

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

Sure @Cristina Sandulescu, I think maybe the confusion is around the difference between options and values.

Select lists, Radio buttons, checkboxes, ect have a list of options that tickets can choose from. Once a ticket chooses one of these options, it now has a stored value for that custom field on that ticket.

Automation for Jira can copy the stored value from one custom field to another custom field, as long as the custom field you are copying to can accept the value. For example, a select list custom field can copy its value to a text field custom field, but it cannot copy it to a date picker custom field.

It could also copy to another select list as long as that select list has a matching option.

What Automation for Jira doesn't do is copy the options from one custom field and place those options into another custom field.

Cristina Sandulescu February 18, 2021

Thanks a lot for your clarification. But, as I mentioned below, only for testing purposes I tried to apply this behavior but with no result. Please check my configuration and let me know what am I doing wrong.

- Source field: select list with 2 options (A and B)

- Target field: select list with 4 options (A, B, X and Y)

When my rule is met even if in the source field I selected the A option, in the target field all 4 options are displayed, the option selected is not copied. 

Can you please advise me on this? 

Is not what I need but I still want to understand how is this "copy from" functionality works.

Thanks!

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

@Cristina Sandulescu

The copy function does NOT change which options are available in the target field. It will set the value in the target field to whatever you picked in the source field. If you are having issues with the value not copying, I'd need to see the audit log to tell you what is wrong.

Thanks,

Kian

Cristina Sandulescu February 22, 2021

Hi Kian,

Please find attached the audit for this rule.audit.png

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

@Cristina Sandulescu

It appears that SOMETHING is copying. What behavior are you seeing, and what did you expect?

Cristina Sandulescu February 23, 2021

Yes, I saw in logs but nothing happens on the interface. Even if I choose in the source field a value (A for example), in the target field there is no value saved.

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2021

And to be clear, target field has a value "A" as well?

Cristina Sandulescu February 23, 2021

Yes, the target field has an "A" value. 

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2021

Here's what I have configured and is working for me -

I have two select lists - Select List 1 and Select List 2 with the same set of options in each, A & B.

I have configured an automation rule to copy the value from Select List 1 to Select List 2. In my case, it's just a manual trigger, but it would work the same if it was triggered when a field value was set.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.22.24 AM.png

Cristina Sandulescu February 25, 2021

I just tried one more time. 

Field Client having the options: A, B, X and Y

Field Changepond Client having the options: A and B

The rule executed successfully, I set the "A" value for Changepond Client field but still no value in field Client. I will try to trigger the rule manually and I will let you know. 

Untitled.png

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2021

I'm afraid I'm not seeing the issue at this point. Can you share the rule you've got running? Maybe a screenshot of it will help.

0 votes

Hi Kian,

Appreciate your fast reply. The source field has 2 values defined, as you can see in the printscreen. Anyway, I want to display in the target field all the values in the source field. Also, I have added the source field on the screen and the values defined are displayed. Also, for the testing purposes, I have selected a value in the source field and the value selected was not pushed in the target field.

Thanks!

field.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events