Private Boards

Ronnie Shorto February 15, 2021

I have a scenario where a board must remain only viewable by a certain team however, others need to have the ability to post to this board. 

Within Browse Projects - The users who work on the board are assigned to a group and that group is assigned to the permission. Works fine.

Within Create issues - At the application access any user logged in can create.

The idea was users could use the Slack integration to create tickets. However, now the board is not listed in Slack.

Is this just not possible? I know if I add all users to the Browse Project permissions it works fine however, this means then can browse to the board and potentially see issues they should not be able to. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Hi Ronnie, 

Who can see the board depends on who you share the Board filter with. 

And who can create tickets on the project used by the board is based on the Permission scheme for the project. 

So your scenario should be very doable. Simply share the board filter with your limited group.

And then make sure who can Create an Issue is available to a wider audience. 

I have done that however, users still can't create tickets. I thought that was the right way to do it however, seems to not work right now for me.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Check the permission scheme on that project - who does it say can Create an Issue? Can you share a screen shot?

Also, use the Permission Helper while in the Permission scheme for clues for why a user cannot create.

Permissions.png

Here is a screenshot. Also, I can't use permission helper with the users because they are unable to browse to the board. So within permission helper I can't select an issue from the board in question to check. Oddly even with my account and permission helper I can't select an issue there however, I can create a ticket.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

Okay check the Permission Scheme for Browse Project - make sure that jira-users group can see the project. 

Ronnie Shorto February 16, 2021

That is the thing. That group is not there as we do not want everyone to view all tickets on that board. This is what I was trying to explain. They should be able to create issues but not see anything on the baord.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

You have to at last give someone that ability to Browse project. I would suggest that you add people to a project role under People in Project Settings. Then grant Browse Project to those roles (or role).

Ronnie Shorto February 16, 2021

Well, the group of people who manage the tickets do have access to this board. That is it. They are assigned to the board via a group. If I need to give others the ability to browse this then defeats the purpose of the entire thing I was trying to do :) 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

That same group that has access to the Board also needs the Browse Project permissions. 

Gayle Murphy March 15, 2021

I am new to JIRA, and am trying to find a way to create a board that is private, and stumbled on this... Please feel free to tell me if it's not an option, but, in cases like this, can you create a public board as an "Intake" (so everyone can submit issues), and migrate those Issues over to the private board? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2021

Hi Gayle - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can have two different boards. 

You make the board visible by sharing the filter attached to the board. So the cards can come into one board with a shared filter and move to a different project and/or issue type and/or status which shows on a different board that has a filter that is not shared. 

Like Gayle Murphy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events