Prioritizing Bugs and Development differently in a project

mfranklin March 20, 2019

I am interested in separating Bug priorities from other work on our projects;  P0-P4 for Bugs and MoSCoW for Development.  I see how to add these to priority list, but I am having trouble seeing how to separate the priorities within the priority list based on whether it is a Bug vs. Story, Task, Epic is being created.  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2019

Hello Mark,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Unfortunately, the default Priority field cannot be configured separated in a per-issue type basis. We even have a feature request opened to configure it on a per-project basis:

Priorities per Project and Resolutions per Issue Type

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, the workaround available would be to create separated Select list Custom fields (Single choice) in order to configure specific priority options per project/issue type. 

P.S: To configure different Priorities per issue type, you will need to configure different screens for it, adding the respective custom field to each issue type screens.

To custom fields, check the documentation below:

Adding, editing, and deleting a custom field

Let us know if this information helps. :)

mfranklin March 20, 2019

Sad to hear ..... I have already created the custom field "Priority Features" the question I then have is how do I add that field to the reports the system creates?  Also, is this only a limitation of the cloud version does the server version support such behavior?

mfranklin March 20, 2019

thank you for responding so quickly

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2019

Hello Mark,

Unfortunately, the reports that rely on the default priority field cannot be customized to rely on a custom field.

Indeed, the Priority Schemes feature was already implemented on the JIRA Server application.

Our dev team is still working in some dependencies to make it work for JIRA Cloud.

Suggest an answer