Preventing links to jira's in a particular status

Alicia Pena September 27, 2022

Our maintenance team creates a maintenance story with weekly maintenance subtask tickets.  Other projects link their tickets to the weekly subtask ticket for maintenance they want done as well.  They lock the maintenance window the day prior to the maintenance session to discuss and evaluate all of the changes.  Users keep sneaking in linked jira's after the maintenance freeze, that aren't discovered until the middle of the work, which often cause problems during maintenance.

To solve that problem, I added a Maintenance status with properties "jira.permission.link.denied" and Maintenance window transitions with the same property.  This works in removing the ability to link from the maintenance ticket.  Once the weekly ticket is moved to Maintenance the "More -> Link" option is no longer available.  However, other projects can still link their tickets to the weekly maintenance ticket.  

How can I completely restrict all projects from linking to a particular jira that is in Maintenance Status? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2022

Hi @Alicia Pena 

I don't think you can get around with permission, even if you play with Link Issue permission on the target project it will not prevent other project to create links to an issue from this project.

If you have Scriptrunner you could do a script listener that listen link created event and delete it after creation if the destination issue in in "Freeze".

If you have automation for JIRA you can do a global automation that for each created link it will check the destination issue (select branch rule > Destination issue) then if the destination issue freeze date is pass then do some actions.

Actions can be adding a comment such as

The issue {{issue.key}} has been added after the freeze {{triggerIssue}}

Or you can tag the issue using a label or another customfield then create another automation trigger on this field update in order to remove linked issues (in this case do not forgot to check the box to allow the rule to be trigger by another rule in the detail section of the rule).

Regards

Alicia Pena October 12, 2022

Thank you for your suggestions.  I think I'll try the script runner option to stop link creations on tickets in maintenance status.  Appreciate your feedback.

Alicia Pena April 17, 2023

I used the automation rule to comment on the jira if someone links a jira after it's moved to maintenance mode.  That helps to identify those added after the ticket had moved to maintenance.  Guess that will have to do until I figure out how to block links completely.  Thank you Florian!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events