Prevent users adding items to current sprint

SimonM March 20, 2013
I would like to stop some users adding new issues to a current sprint. Seems strange that I can stop people moving issues up and down the backlog priority list but I cannot stop people from adding any issue they like to the current sprint. Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Hoekstra March 18, 2015

Hey Folks, 

Simple fix. Ensure your Permission Scheme has limited roles (like just admin or Project Lead) assigned in the Schedule Issue permission. Only folks in the Schedule Issue permission can add due dates to issues and move them in and out of sprints.

Rex Parsons March 18, 2015

Many of our users need to update due dates but only one or two should ever be able to move issues in/out of sprints. Is there a fix for that?

Davin Hoekstra March 18, 2015

If your users have the ability to set due dates, then you're allowing them to determine when issues will be done. That's the same as adding issues to the sprint as that person is scheduling the issue. If you want to have a desired date that anyone can populate just create a custom field so they can indicate a desired completion date but not add issues to sprints. It's more of a request than a mandate then.

Like Eric likes this

Setting due dates and putting items into sprints are not really the same thing, at least not for us and the way we are using Jira. We have several kinds of issues that operate within a sprint, and the due dates are not always tied to the sprint time-frame. I appreciate the suggestion. A custom due date field would successfully allow the Schedule Issue permission to work separately. As long as Scheduling doesn't control any other behavior we wish to allow for the larger user pool, I think this would work.

Selvam Raju Somalraju January 6, 2016

I would like for our users to be able to move tasks in and out of Future Sprints, just that they can't move a task in and out of an Active Sprint, unless they have admin rights. Does this solution apply there?

Like # people like this
Charlotte Skogsholm January 16, 2016

I have the same request as Selvam above.  I want to be able to prevent adding to active sprints.

Like # people like this
Kimberly Roberts April 7, 2016

I would also like to prevent users from moving tasks into an active sprint. Has a solution been found yet?

Like # people like this
Systems Team April 25, 2016

I am also interested in getting this permission feature.  Is there a more formal way to make this request?

Like Ellen Cristina Gouveia likes this
Martin Charlesworth June 28, 2016

+1 I need this feature too! any update from Atlassian?

Like Peter Jones likes this
Oleg Appassov September 23, 2016

Muy helpful

adavison September 28, 2016

I agree - this is a pretty fundamental capability in the deliniation of roles between the technical team and the product team - in fact I thought I had a recollection of this being possible back in JIRA V4 with Greenhopper.

Christof Spies October 20, 2016

Like # people like this
Bleddyn Raw-Rees October 24, 2016

+1 It would be really useful to us as well to be able to restrict permissions on adding issues to the active sprint and future sprint separately. Idea being that everyone in the team should have the permissions to add issues to a sprint but at the same time ensuring that the workload in the active sprint can't easily be added to. 

Davin Hoekstra October 24, 2016

Atlassian announced new changes to the permission scheme options at the conference this month. It will grant you the ability to let other roles add fix versions and components but I'm not sure Schedule Permissions is being split up. The IM/Scrum master is responsible for dependency management so you likely don't want people re-ranking your backlog. If you do, then just ensure they know their roles and responsibilities to re-rank blocking stories when they touch the order of the backlog and grant them Schedule rights.

Like David Hazeel likes this
2 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2013

Hi Simon,

You need to configure the 'Edit Issue' permission in the project to which the issue.

Hope its help.

Regards,

John Chin

SimonM March 25, 2013

Thank you John, very helpful.

Adam Roth November 12, 2013

I don't think that's really a solution to what's being asked here. The goal is to prevent a user from adding an issue to (or removing an issue from) the current sprint. Not to prevent them from editing issues entirely.

This is generally relevant to non-developers who are acting in a 'stakeholder'/'project-manager' kind of role. They should be able to prioritize the tasks that are in the backlog (i.e. anything that is *not* in the active sprint), but they should not be able to touch anything that is in the current sprint. At least not in terms of removing it from the sprint, or arbitrarily dropping new tasks into the sprint.

Like # people like this
Davin Hoekstra June 4, 2014

That's not a solution John. Adding scope to a sprint is different from editing an issue. All developers etc need to be able to edit issues or they'd have to call me each time to edit it which would be silly. I need to stop developers from just adding stories mid-sprints.

Like # people like this
Frank Vidal October 24, 2014

+1 David. I need that as well. I have a client that refuses to play by the rules and keeps trying to sneak issues into the current sprint.

Like # people like this

+1 We have users who add issues to sprint without the authority to do so. Preventing that via a new permission would be perfect.

Christof Spies October 20, 2016

This is not the solution, @John Chin Kim Loong. Adam Roth desciped the issue very well in the comment above.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Aniket Patil June 17, 2021

For anyone looking for answers on next-gen projects, the answer is NO you cannot prevent the users from adding/removing the issues from current/planned sprints; however, the "Manage Sprints" permissions only talk about the following topics: 

• Create sprint
  • Start sprint
  • Complete sprint   

Therefore, if you have not given anyone permission to manage sprint, they will not be able to do the actions in bullet points above; however, they can still add/remove the issues from the sprints. Which is really really disappointing! 

Suggest an answer