Prepending Issue Number to a Case Summary

I'm bleary-eyed trying to find a solution to this that doesn't require some add-on or another.

I just want to prepend the issue number to the Case Summary of existing cases.

Example Case Summary for issue XYZ-123:

Before: "The thing doesn't work"

After: "[XYZ-123] The thing doesn't work"

I realize that if I use a string variable on a case that does not yet have an issue number that there will probably be an untranslated variable in the string until the issue is actually receives a number.

Example:

"[%issue.number%] The thing doesn't work"

I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, so hopefully there's something as simple as... say... the syntax of the [~username] function. BTW, [~issue.number] didn't work. :-)

Thank you in advance.

1 answer

0 vote

Storing information in more than once place is not a good idea in general. If you move the issue to another project then the issue key (XYZ-123) will change to ABC-123 and now your Summary field has outdated information. Also, removing such information from Summary fields once they have been changed is hard to automate.

All JIRA issues have issue keys but there's no way to insert something (e.g. wiki markup) that will later be replaced by the issue key.

If you really need to do this, you need to be ready for a bit of coding.

~Matt

Author of Practical JIRA Administration, O'Reilly

Or export to Excel and do it in there

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,238 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you