Practical Enterprise Server Implementation

Cory Dearing February 5, 2021

For a true enterprise solution (user based exceeds 1000), can this be effective with a single instance?  My experience is that users get very frustrated with default issue searches that include all of the hundreds of projects that cross many lines of business and programs.  The only practical methods I see to limit the default scope of searches is to create many JIRA Categories, and at least the user can find the correct JIRA Project(s) to access.  However, it still requires JQL to limit searches to a meaningful subset of JIRA Projects.

It appears to me, the only practical approach is to generate multiple JIRA Instances.  Is this true?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2021

Hi @Cory Dearing

adding to the very true aspects Joshua already mentioned there is some organizational part which you teasered and for this, yes, you are right - on a larger installation topics like housekeeping, keeping things easy and clear and manageable comes into play!

There could be said a lot about - but a good introduction I found the blog article over here:
https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/human-side-scaling-jira-software-governance-custom-fields-admins

Multiple Jira instances might be necessary at some point in future - or not. This all depends on the user, the structure, the way to work. From my experience users begin to complain soon when they have to jump between several instances (alongside with restrictions like they cannot move easily issues between instance borders and such).

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2021

Hi Cory,

Yes, Jira Software Server can handle 1k users and do it easily. Jira includes several layers of permissions, including project permissions to limit who can see the project or its issues. No, multiple instances are not necessary and are more confusing than a single instance.

The bigger item to discuss is the deprecation of server products. Go to Data Center for proper enterprise solutions. Cheers!

Suggest an answer